rca audio output sp...

Notifications
Clear all

rca audio output speaker feedback?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey everyone. im new here so if this question has been asked or its been solved feel free to just link me to that post. i couldnt seem to find anything on this issue when i did a quick search on the forum.

so the other day i tried to use all of the master audio outputs on my hercules 500. that is, both the rca output and the jack output, at the same time. the rca was going into a mixer aux input while the jack was going to an xlr input (i have  jack - xlr cables). at first everything was playing fine but after a bit i started getting like a ringing feedback in my speakers that were connected with rca.

full disclosure: i go from the controller to the mixer via rca, then from the mixer to the speakers via rca - xlr cables. its important to note that ive been using this particular set up for years with absolutely no issue. this feedback didnt start until the other day when i tried to use both master outputs. strangely enough, the speakers that the jack - xlr was going to had no feedback at all (atleast none that i noticed) so im wondering if anyone else has come across an issue trying to use all of the audio outputs.

also, i should mention that i thought that maybe it was a cables issue, especially after i even switched out a speaker and got the same feedback. but yesterday i used those rca cables alone (instead of having both master audio outputs occupied) and the speakers worked like they normally do, feedback free. so its certainly not the rca cables nor that connection. any help would be appreciated here. thank you in advance.

Hello DJ Clint ZERO,

Welcome to the forum.

It should be absolutely OK as many DJs connect both master output to connect 2 pair of speakers, 1 pair for the audience and 1 pair for near field monitors.
So I suspect the feedback you heard via the RCA output may have been caused by a different of ground (a ground loop) between the 2 devices connected to the RCA and the 1/4" master outputs, since as both were connected to the DJ controller Master output ground, a difference between the ground of the 2 devices would cause this issue.

If you can duplicate it, and then plug the power of the speakers on the same power as the mixer, you can check if the noise disappears.

Topic starter

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I will try this and report back
Topic starter

Hello DJ Clint ZERO,

Welcome to the forum.

It should be absolutely OK as many DJs connect both master output to connect 2 pair of speakers, 1 pair for the audience and 1 pair for near field monitors.
So I suspect the feedback you heard via the RCA output may have been caused by a different of ground (a ground loop) between the 2 devices connected to the RCA and the 1/4" master outputs, since as both were connected to the DJ controller Master output ground, a difference between the ground of the 2 devices would cause this issue.

If you can duplicate it, and then plug the power of the speakers on the same power as the mixer, you can check if the noise disappears.

Hello

I tried this yesterday and I was still getting the feedback. Is there anything else it could be?

Hello,

Without seeing your speakers, mixer, connections and how they operate, and hearing at which moment the noise starts and what it sounds like, it is complicated to guess the causes of the noise issue(s).

A) In case the issue is caused by a limit of USB bus power, can you

1) try to connect a USB hub powered by a USB hub which has a power adapter between your computer and your DJControl Inpulse 500?
2) confirm you do not set the sound level to the max on DJControl Inpulse 500 Master out knob (80% is OK, 100%  may be noisy).

B) Have you tried changing the connection?
- connecting the DJ controller RCA outputs to the speakers
- connecting the DJ controller 1/4" outputs to the mixer
and do you get the same result?

C) Do you hear the noise both if the PC power supply is plugged on when the PC operates on battery?

Topic starter

Hi

Sorry about the late reply but I've been a bit busy. So i tried a different connection the other day: i connected the inpulse 500 DIRECTLY to the speakers (without the mixer) and directly to the other hotel speakers as well And i didn't get any feedback. This leads me to believe that there's something wrong with the mixer, but that's decidedly good news compared to what i thought was the issue before. 

My new problem now is the hotel speakers have a delay compared to the speakers i normally use, which i suppose isn't surprising considering connecting to the hotel speakers requires more cable, so I'm currently trying to find a work around for that. But thank you very much for all your suggestions. 

Hi DJ Clint Zero,

You do not need to be sorry, 8 days to answer is not a late reply, especially when, as you did, you used this time to do test.

1) Getting noise through the mixer but not in direct connection may be related to
a)  saturation on the mixer input: can you test if lowering the master output level of the DJ controller reduces the mixer noise?
b) ground issue: can you check all ground connection in/out of the mixer:
- check the mixer power supply (place it in different power source)
- if the mixer is connected to a multiple plug power outlet, can you test it directly plugged to the wall power?
- test different combination of inputs / outputs in the mixer, to eliminate a possible bad contact on a ground connector.

2) I do not believe longer cables may delay the sound in the hotel speakers compared to your standard speakers as sound travels very fast in audio cables, around 5ns/meter: a 5ms delay would need 1,000,000 meters = 1000 km = 621 miles of cables.
Delays in wired speakers generally come from a digital processing, before or in the amplifier.
Can you check if the hotel speaker system has a sound improvement processing (spatial stereo, bass improvement...) which may be disabled, for example in a Game mode or a Direct mode?