microphone input vo...

Notifications
Clear all

microphone input volume control

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

ive seen three or four forum discussions on this topic, but no resolutions.
when attempting to use the rmx2 microphone input, the volume makes it unusable.

i have a hercules rmx2.
i am running virtual dj 7.4.6 (though that is only relevant from a confuration standpoint).
windows 10 pc, i7 intel processor.
vdj installed locally, all songs on external seagate drives.

sound setup in vdj:
  inputs - none
  ouputs - headphones (master chan1&2, headphones chan3&4)
  sounds card - asio (dj console rmx2 asio)
  asio config:
      main 1-2 maximum...booth 1-2 maximum...3-4 maximum (have tried all at various levels)
      talkover attenuation - on, -6db (have tried on/off/all levels)

input (from pc):
   usb to rmx2
   headphone output to rca splitter to rmx2 inputs 1&2 

output from rmx2 via single xlr - output 1

microphones tried: shure sm58 corded/xlr, non-switched
                            ev nd767a corded/xlr, non-switched
                            shure sm57 corded/1/4", switched
 ------------------------------------------
with or without mic plugged in, and with or without virtual dj running;
- mic level on rmx2 is all the way down, mains on level 1, 1&2 gain on level 1, sliders on level 1 
(at this level, output from a track is barely audible)

if no mic is plugged, the scary tell-tale sound of something way too hot.
if a mic is plugged in:
when mic on/off is pressed, microphone output is so loud it cannot be used (this on volume zero).
turning mic volume to 1, microphone is in next room - facing in opposite direction from speaker....feedback occurs.

as things stand, there are two of us with same problem (same config) - and we have to travel with portable mixer to run a mic.  we can not use the mic input. 
any help would be so very much appreciated!!

Topic starter

As an addendum to the post...
I adjusted Main volume, left and right gains, both left and right sliders all the way down.
And with the mic level still all the way down, the volume is too loud to be at all usable.

I was hoping this is some sort of configuration setting when loading the software, but I uninstalled and reinstalled without seeing anything suspicious.

First:

- The reason why the computer's headphone output is connected to the Rmx2 Line In is because you are using your computer as an external audio source ?

Since the Microphone and Line In 1-2 are shared, I would suggest using Input 3-4 instead.

Secondly:

- When testing the microphone, was the line In always connected or you also tried without ?

- You don't mention anything about the Input settings used in the control panel (should be Line 0dB) or the input selector on the back (should be set to Line In). 

Topic starter

DJ Phatso - thanks so much for the reply!!
As you have guessed, I'm new to the hercules and Virtual DJ combo.  My RMX2 is less than a week old.
==
No, I'm not using the computer as anything other than the VDJ and file host.
The connection of the headphone out seemed logical to me at the time (habits from other software&controller), but based on your question - I'm sensing it may be redundant.
I'll try and use with just the USB and see if normal track sound is still working [I believe that is where you were heading with that question].

Really interesting point about the mic and line1-2 sharing, I didn't really have that perspective.  I'll also try changing 3-4 for VDJ.
Would that be accomplished by changing the output to "Master Chan 3&4 / Headphones Chan 1&2"?

Here are the input settings currently, although I think I'll have to change them based on above:
Switch on back is at "Line In".
In RMX2 console, 1-2 and 3-4 both set to "Line (+6 db).  I'll change this, though it may not matter with switch at line-in(?).

Within that same console, I haven't been able to ascertain exactly what the Main/Booth 1-2...and 3-4 sliders were designed to do.
I don't expect a complete lesson in this forum, and I'll continue to play with this until I have a better handle.  However, it that can be summed up in a sentence or two...much appreciated.

Again - thank you so much for the reply and kindness! 

A complete lesson maybe not, but here's a quick rundown to get you going on understanding the basics:

You have to look at all the elements (the software, the hardware,etc) as different levels of controls working together. For instance:

- The Hercules DJ control panel provides settings related to internal soundcard (input and output levels, microphone, talkover, et) and controllers (behavior of the jogwheels, MIDI resolution, etc).

These more or less are complements of those already available on the controller itself (the input level switch on the back for example).

-The audio and controller settings in VDJ indicate to the software how it should interact with the soundcard and the MIDI controller (in this case, both the Rmx2).

For example, by selecting the following configuration:

Inputs - none
Ouputs - Headphones (Master chan1&2, Headphones chan3&4)
Sounds Card - ASIO (DJ Console RMX2 ASIO)

You are telling VDJ that you want to use the Rmx2 as a soundcard, and that the Main mix (Master) should be sent to Ouput 1-2, while headphone preview should be send to Output 3-4, which is also the headphone output of the Rmx2 (the connectors on the back send out the same signal).

Knowing this,here's how you should proceed before even playing a song in VDJ:

- Set your speakers to an appropriate level;

- In the DJ control panel, set Output 1-2/Boot to an appropriate level (about 75%)

Note that these set the levels for the connectors on the back. The headphone output obviously has his own level control

- Finaly, set VDJ master output level to again about 75%

Now, when starting a song, all you need to do is adjust the deck level, using your controller.

Now as for other details:

- As you figured, no need to connect your computer's soundcard to the Line in since everything is handeled by the Rmx2

However, it is good to know that Input 1-2 are shared, which mean that you could use either the microphone or a device (MP3 or CD player, turntable) connected to the Line/Phone input but not both at one (hence the selection in the DJ control panel).

- Main and Boot are duplicate of the same signal. Pro DJ in big venues sometimes like to have small speakers in their boot with what the audience hears and this is where this output could be used.

- Output 3-4 maybe used in a similar manner for DJ who may not want to use headphones for preview, or in an external mixer configuration where Deck A & Deck B are sent to individual channels.

Regarding your inital request and problem with the microphone, please proceed in the following manner:

- Set both switches in the back of the Rmx2 to LINE IN

- In the DJ control panel, set both input to Line In (0dB)

- Also enable Talkover attenuation

Then try your microphone again to see if the problem persist.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate !

Hello DJDonnie,

If you replaced your balanced XLR to XLR cable by a non balanced cable (ending with a 1/4" ("mono") TS male connector), your microphone level should be reduced of 6dB, but if you find it so hot, 6dB is not enough and the best solution may be to use an input attenuator, as:

- Hosa ATT-448, specifications here, sold online (Amazon here, B&H here) and in many music stores (Guitar CenterAmerican Musical, Musician Friend), it attenuates from 20dB, 30dB or 40dB

- Or a higher end as Shure A15AS, described here, sold online (Amazon, or B&H), attenuating of 15, 20 and 25dB.