help with choosing ...

Notifications
Clear all

help with choosing the hardware

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi! id like to know some first hand information about controllers, specifically about jog wheels in rmx2. i own dj control air and i like the jog wheel very much. i need to upgrade my controller sooner or later and i cant decide what to buy next. the problem is that in my friends hercules 4set controller (which is supposed to be superior to air) got much worse touch in jog wheels than in the older controller. im thinking of buying another controller, rmx2, but dont know if i like the jog wheel feel at all.
so, is the jog wheel in rmx2 similar to 4set or is there that notable "haptic" feedback, similar to air when you feel that youve pressed the jogwheel down and it touches the bottom surface. in 4set the problem is that you dont feel when the jog is pushed down and when you just turn it. i use controller with traktor and theres a different function for both and i like it this way. also, i dont want to watch the jog wheel when i do this so id see a light turn on or something like that. i could also buy new air+ or cheap pioneer controller, but those are worse in every other way when compared to rmx2. i could also buy a new normal air, since its an awesome controller, but its also old and new things are more exciting.

Hello,

It is a matter of taste, not of quality: I don't like the feeling of a detent on DJ Control Air jog wheel, I prefer a lot DJ4Set jog wheels as DJ4Set jog wheel feeling is nicer.

To switch instantely between the 2 jog wheel modes:
- I place my fingers on the ring to turn the jog = I turn without pressing down the jog wheel
- I place my fingers on the centre plate to turn the jog = I turn in pressing down the jog wheel.

If I want to avoid switching between the 2 jog wheel modes, I set the vinyl mode off, with the Vinyl On/Off button.

Rmx2, or Air+ have jog wheels with a similar feeling as DJ 4Set.
Pioneer DJ controllers, or the new Hercules DJ controllers (Universal DJ, DJControl  Jogvision) have a capacitive detection, so the jog wheel scratch rotation is not activated by a pressure on the jog, but simply by the position of your fingers: if you touch the top panel which the scatch mode is set on, you are in scratch rotation, whatever the pressure you apply.

Topic starter

When using Air, I don't need to change the jog wheel mode at all, since I can use vinyl mode and still correct pitch even on top of the wheel without a problem. With 4set I don't know when I stop the playback while using the jog. In Air I sense when I push too hard.

There's just that rough click when you push the jog in Air. That is missing from the 4set completely. Otherwise the jog technique is similar. The jog in 4set feels muffy (kinda like in NI controllers, don't like those much either), while the jog in Air feels precise although clunky. In Pioneer the technique is different, but you still somehow know how the wheel is going to react.

My primary interest is in RMX2. Hercules support answered only that it's a bit different than in older controllers, but they weren't really accurate how it's different.

EDIT: It's a quality thing in a way. Original Air is a cheap controller with clunky jog wheel. It should wheel worse. With more money you get a bit different design, which should feel superior, but it doesn't for me. There's a nice jog wheel in Dj Control Instinct too. =P

Hello Tesno,

Indeed, if you prefer DJControl Air jog wheels as you like a long vertical travel of the jog wheel, the only similar jog wheel you may find is on DJControl Instinct.
You will not find such a jog wheel on any other controller than DJControl Air and Instinct.
DJConsole Rmx2, DJControl AirPlus, DJConsole 4-Mx jog wheels are more in the style of DJ4Set jog wheels, so if you do not like the jog wheel on DJ 4Set, you will not like it on these other controllers.

One point to take into account: you can also keep your DJControl Air and add another controller in the same Traktor Pro 2, so that you use 2 controllers at the same time.

Topic starter

I finally bought RMX2 and I was kinda surprised when I realized, that the jog is the same as in Air. Only difference is the top plate which would be better in rubber than in it's glossy form. Unit doesn't work, so I have to send it back, but I will definitely buy another RMX2 now.

Hello,

1) I don't find DJConsole Rmx2 and DJ Control Air have similar jog wheels: both have pressure detection, but the vertical travel of Air jog wheel is long and the vertical travel of Rmx2 jog wheel is short.
2) Please precise in what way you find the Rmx2 unit does not work since it is worth checking if it is really defective prior to shipping it back.

As you meet a technical problem, please fill your technical profile in clicking on "My Space"> "My Profile"
http://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/informations /

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Tableau Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

In "Describe your equipment": describe your computer brand and model, CPU, quantity of RAM, version of Windows or Mac OS, version of DJConsole Series driver package, version of DJ software.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Tableau Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Topic starter

Although it's not my main point, it just doesn't power on. Not with different computers, not with another usb cable/port. Checked the power supply, it gives the right amount of juice. Can't think of anything else, if usb cable, power plug and power button won't do the trick. (I also got drivers installed from another controller, also checked one without drivers). Also, 4set jog wheel is totally different story. It doesn't have the similar pressure detection system.