universal dj and ma...

Notifications
Clear all

universal dj and mac thru pa - help!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hope someone can help me here. bought universal dj for a party on saturday night. ive always previously djd with cd decks and fed up wit the hassle. hooked the universal up to my mac and imported my music no problem. all going great until i connected to my amp and speakers - even with the gain, the amp volume and the deck volume cranked up to the max its still too quiet. ive altered what i believe to be the master volume output through the control panel too.

am i missing something? is there any way i can icnrease the volume because at the moment i might as well return the deck as its just not loud enough.

im using an ld wild thang 200w power amp and ldp 200w speakers. any suggestions would be really, really welcome. thanks.

Hello,

1) Can you confirm you have set
- the master volume in the control panel

- The main volume to the Max in Djuced 40
- and set the gain volume (Shift+encoder over the pitch fader) (Remark: the gain button over the Rec button is only the Gain of what you record, not the deck of what you play)

2) Please confirm you connect Universal DJ dual RCA output to the dual RCA input of your amplifier.

Topic starter

Yes, I have set the master volume in the CP.

The volume sliders on the deck are at max, as is the gain dial above the pitch slider. Unsure what you mean about the gain above the rec button - there is nothing above the rec button at all on my unit.

I have tried connecting to the amp both from the dual RCA and the single line jack output to see if it makes any difference. The jack is slightly louder, but still nowhere near enough. 

Out of interest, I have installed the software on an old windows laptop to see if that made any difference - it didn't. The outcome is still the same, it's too quiet. By way of comparison, when using my amp and speakers with my Gemini twin CD mixer, I would never move the amp volume past halfway under any circumstances as it would be far too loud to hear without distortion. With the Hercules, I have the amp volume wound up to the maximum.

Thanks for the reply; any more ideas?

Hello Rattlehead,

A) Computer controllers play at a much lower level than DJ mixers as
1 - analog mixers have plenty of power (domestic current (110v to 240v, possibly over 10A ) while computer controllers are powered by the USB (5v - 0.5A),
2 - analog mixers outputs are built on preamps, whose level can be whatever you want, while computer DJ controllers output are on DACs (digital to analog converters), which saturates over 0dB,
3 - DJ controllers must be compatible with home hifi systems (-10dBv input level) while analog mixers are designed for Public Address amplifiers (+4dBu),
as a result
- in clubs, DJ controllers are not wired directly to the amplifier but to an analog mixer, and the analog mixer is connected to amplifier,
- many mobile Deejays connect between their DJ controller and the amplifier an analog console (as Mackie 402-VLZ4) with a stronger output level, and on which they can connect additional sources, as wireless microphones.

B) It would be good if you could
- tell me if you are connected via the RCA INPUTS of you amplifier (your amplifier has both 2 x balanced 1.4" jack inputs and 2 unbalanced RCA inputs according to the image of this amplifier I found here, and maybe the amplifier may play louder the Universal DJ RCA outputs connected to the DUAL RCA INPUTS of this amplifier.

- and complete your profile here (My Space > My Profile):
 . In "Hercules Equipment in use": check Universal DJ
 . In "Software in use": check Djuced
 . In "Describe your equipement", please write your computer configuration:
    . Operating system (write it completely, for example Mac OS 10.10.6) 
    . Computer : Apple, but what mode
    . Software version: I suppose you use Djuced 40 2.0.99.

3) Can you test in plugging your headphones in the Mix Out output 1/8" if the output level seems normal?