Notifications
Clear all

dj console mk4 issues on windows 8.1

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hello,

i recently upgraded my laptop for a newer one with more of everything (ram, cpu, gpu, its a beast).

the issue is : it runs on windows 8.1.
since i transitionned, its been nothing but problems with the mk4.
it wasnt recognized, so i bought a 40€ usb 3.0 power hub, now its recognized by the driver and by the "easy" config mode of virtual dj 7 and any config mode of vdj 8 but i still have a couple issues for what i want to do :

- in vdj8, playing analog (from a turntable plugged in the mk4s line in) induces random stutter in the audio (and gui too, i think)
- in vdj7 the device is not listed properly in advanced config mode when in wdm and switching to asio spits out errors when trying to configure the audio in vdj.

ive the latest drivers, the device still works fine on my vdj7/win7 previous laptop, there is no stutter in audacity.

any help very much appreciated as im beginning to lose hope.
thanks in advance, regardz,

Hello,

1) You should post this type of question in the French forum area, the french forum is as active as the english one.

2) VirtualDJ 8 consumes more CPU than VirtualDJ 7, so your computer may need optimization for VDJ 8.
Close VirtualDJ 8
Open DJ Console Mk4 control panel, set the audio mode in ASIO, and check you ASIO settings: your should set the sample rate at 44100 Hz, the Asio step at 16-bit, and increase your Asio buffer size : if you are below 10ms, you can go up to 10ms.

To optimize
1- Check your laptop power plan and make sure it is set for high performance. If you use a laptop, click the battery icon Picture of battery icon in the taskbar notification area,
- if you see only Balanced and Power Saver, click on More Power Options
and select High Performance power plan

if you have already a power plan called High Performance , it is OK, select it.

2) Switch off your Wifi, and internet connection.
3) close any background task.
4) Storage: make sure you have enough hard disk space on your computer, and never let a USB key connected on your PC when you mix.

3) In VirtualDJ 7 Pro Sound Setup, don't go in the Advanced Config, it is too complicated.
Just set :
Inputs = Line Ins
Outputs = Headphones              Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphone: Chan 3&4
Sound Card = ASIO Driver          Hercules DJ Console Mk4 ASIO

4) If you have no Stutter in Audacity, as Audacity operates in WDM, it is likely you have a too short ASIO buffer size.

Topic starter

Hi Maxdjack, thanks for your detailed answer.
I can't figure out how to quote and reply inline so here goes:

1) All my software including os is in english so it's easier to directly post here rather than trying to translate solutions back and forth.

2) I doubt this is the issue, I have a core i7 @2.4GHz, I did try with these ASIO settings, though which didn't change anything.
I was already in high-perf mode, too.

2-2) I searched the forums and the net before posting and did try disabling the nework card to no avail.
2-3) Did this, din't do noffing.
2-4) Brand new hard drive, I have 34GB free on my OS/programs partition. Didn't have any USB key plugged in.

3) No it's not too complicated. In fact it's the only mode that lets me setup timecode and line-in on at the same time on the flick of a button and allows me to use my Scarlett 6i6 as master output. At least it did on windows 7.

Now when I try to apply any change I get an error popup window sayig "Error in the ASIO sound driver : Your soundcard is probably not connecting or the settings are incorrect." Yet, my ASIO settings are the very same as you said (44100, 16-bit and 480 (10ms)).

4) I don't think it's an ASIO buffer size issue since I get the stuttering only when playing back the line in (not with timecode or sound files).

Topic starter

Quick update, I just reinstalled VDJ8 and whenever I set the mk4 to ASIO, the buffer setup fails when trying to configure it (after restarting VDJ).
Edit: nvm, I still had firefox open which was holding the resources... I'm losing track of what I'm doing...
Anyway, I retried with everything you said and the stutter is still here.
Edit bis : Ok, turns out the issue is with the focusrite card, I switched it to WASAPI and it's almost normal (obly got a massive stutter/distortion at one point).
So I guess I'm going to complain on focusrite's forums instead...

Hello R734,

If your Focusrite is a USB full speed (12 Mb/s) sound card, as DJ Console Mk4, you may meet another issue if both are connected to the same USB 2.0 hub (internal (built-in your computer) or external).

A USB 2.0 hub converts the USB full speed traffic into USB 2.0 but
- some USB hubs are Single TT (Single Transaction Translator) = you must share between all your USB full speed devices a bandwidth of 12 Mbps,
- some other are Multi TT (Multi Transaction Translator) = each USB port on the hub offer in full speed a bandwidth of 12 Mbps.

So if your USB hub is USB 2.0 single TT, you may lack USB bandwidth to use both DJ Console Mk4 and your Focusrite sound card in ASIO.

To kow if your USB hub is single TT, you can use free USB software analyzer as USB view, the bDeviceProtocol value are
- 0x01 for a single TT USB hub
- 0x02 for a multi TT USB hub.

If your Focusrite sound card is USB full speed and your USB hub is single TT, then the problem is not related to your drivers: you should change your USB hub for a multi-TT one.