Notifications
Clear all

2 dj controllers together

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hello fellow djs! 🙂

a friend of mine is throwing a party this june and me and my friend are going to play there.we both have the herules dj controller instict and we want to combine them so we can have 4 decks to play.is it possible to connect two controllers together to get one sound,by one sound i mean that whatever we do on the consoles comes out together by speakers.the party hoster has phillips fr 975 and home cinema speakers i think.anyway,is it possible to have the two controllers togetherand if it is how are we going to connect them(cables,etc)

thanks in advance 🙂

p.s. i am a beginner dj, so plz no hate 🙂  

Hello Blackthorn,

You have 2 possibilities:
a) you mix on 2 different computers: then you need to connect the outputs of your 2 DJ Control Instincts to a small analog mixer, and the output of this mixer is connected to the speakers.
You can use a small mixer as
- this Behringer UB502,

- connect the RCA Output of the first DJControl Instinct to the Line 2-3 or the Behringer mixer (with a dual RCA to dual 1/4" jack cable)
- connect the RCA Output of the second DJControl Instinct to the Line 4-5 or the Behringer mixer (with a dual RCA to dual 1/4" jack cable)
- and you connect your speakers to Behringer UB502 main output (2 x 1/4" Main L-R or 2 x RCA L-R out).

b) Or you mix with 1 single computer: you then need a pro software, for example VirtualDJ Pro.

Topic starter

Let's say that i choose the second option with vdj pro ..how am i going to do this ??? what sound setup do i need? 

Hello Blackthorn,

You can use 2 controllers on VirtualDJ Pro 7 or 8 with a 4-deck skin.
- Run VirtualDJ Pro,
- First, select a 4 deck skin (Skin tab of the configuration menu)
- Go in Config > Mappers menu,
- In Mappers, click the Mappers Option button. You will now get access the Deck Assignment option, allowing you to decide which controllers interact with each decks.
- Select DJControl Instinct controller in the devices list,
- Go in deck assignement, and choose the virtual decks you control on this first DJControl Instinct

- Click on OK
- Select DJControl Instinct again controller in the devices list,
- Go in deck assignement, and choose the other virtual decks you control on this second DJControl Instinct.

In Sound Setup, select DJControl Instinct
- Outputs: Headphones      Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphones : Chan 3&4
- Sound Card: ASIO   DJControl Instinct ASIO

You use the audio of only 1 DJControl Instinct, so the speakers are connected to this controller, and the headphones are connected to the same controller.
As you are 2 DeeJays, you need 1 headphones per DeeJay, so you need an headphones duplicator, as this one:

so that each of the DeeJays connect one's headphones to the headphones plug, thanks to this output duplicator.

You can also do the same in Traktor Pro, but the assignment of the controls is more complicated (you must redo a map), it is explained here.

Topic starter

Hello Maxdjack, 

thank you for all the help you have provided me until now,I have a couple of questions more.I tried the setting with the VDJ pro with the 2 controllers and it worked out all really well.Now let me ask you :
1)I noticed alongside with my friend that both crossfaders from both controllers have to be moved together is there a way to work with only one or make it more easy to use them?Because if we have to move them both together at the same positions it is kinda tricky...

2)Where are we going to plug the headphone duplicator?We are getting sound from only one of the two controllers are we going to plug it in the headphone input of the one giving us sound ?  

Hello Blackthorn,

1) To have only 1 crossfader controlling virtual DJ crossfader, you must edit the controller mapping:
- For the first DJControl Instinct, keep the factory mapping
- For the second DJControl Instinct, make a custom mapping in which you suppress the action crossfader_slider for the key CROSSFADER.
So you you 2 mapping for DJControl Instinct:
- The DJControl Instinct whose crossfader controls the virtual crossfading has the factory mapping
-   The DJControl Instinct whose crossfader controls nothing has the custom mapping.

2) Yes, you should plug the headphones duplicator on the headphones output of the DJControl Instinct giving you sound.