can hercules dj air...

Notifications
Clear all

can hercules dj air (normal) be used for live performance?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hello hercules,
im from india. i wish to buy the hercules dj air (normal) controller . i just wanted to know whether i could perform an live event with it of about 500 to 700 people and whether speakers can be connected to it. and if yes , then how many and how big and how to? and usb 2.0 works with it? and for the speakers will there be any need of amplifiers or any extensions? and are speakers connected to the console or the laptop? im new to djing and hope you guide me . thank you very much

Hello Surya,

In my opinion, DJ Control Air audio output is not really made for your type of plan, as the 1/8" stereo output is made for multimedia speakers but not for public address speakers.
I would rather suggest DJControl Air+, whose audio output is stronger and can be used with public address speakers.

Topic starter

Thank you very very much Sir. You saved me and my hard saved money of years . Thank you again. Infact I'd have to borrow money even to buy this dj air , let alone dj air plus . I'm very thankful of you sir. Could you please help me and elaborate how to choose a controller or console for a live perform? How to know how and how many speakers will it support? And how to measure it ?

Hello Surya,

1) The type of DJ Controller you need for live performance depends on the type of speakers you connect.
If you use Public Address (PA) speakers (and that is needed for 500-people attendance), you generally need a pro level output for public address amplifiers, which is +4dBu (or higher).
I have not measured DJControl Air output level, but it is not loud, so I guess it is close from -10dBv output (or -7.7dBu accourding to the dB converter here): it is what multimedia speakers need, but it is not enough for public address speakers.

DJControl AirPlus output level is +6dBu on its RCA output (according to specifications here).
DJControl Instinct, which is the cheapest DJ controller with integrated audio, has a +7dBu output level according to the specifications here.

2) Regarding how many speakers are supported, it depends of your amplifier: you connect 1 stereo output to the amplifier, and the amplifier is connected to 1, 2, 3 or 4 pairs of speakers. If you use active PA speakers (PA speakers with an amplifier buit in each speaker), then you may beed a patch bay (a box which duplicates the audio outputs): the type of patch bay depends on your speakers, but if you rend the PA speakers, the renting company probably rents the patch bay with the speakers.