struggling with dj ...

Notifications
Clear all

struggling with dj 4 set

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i picked up the 4set the other day as a first console to see if this is a hobby id be interested in taking on.  the idea of it seems fun, but the implementation has done nothing but crash my pc and give me a headache.

alongside the controller, i also picked up an audio technica 1/4" microphone and a set of behringer 2000 headphones.

on day 1 everything worked normally.  i opened vdj, installed the hercules drivers and it immediately became responsive and was able to manipulate the display on my pc for vdj.  i played with it for about an hour, and had a good time accepting that i need a pair of external powered speakers to be able to hear the "finished product."

i try to figure it up again the next day (yesterday) and im immediately greeted with a bsod pushing an hdjasiok.sys error. i remove the drivers, manually delete the created files, and vdj starts again.  i re-install the drivers, and it yields the same results.  i install asio4all v2 and vdj starts up without any problems.

now my entire playback is coming through my pc speakers.  this is awesome, but i know this is not how its supposed to work natively.  i get no playback in my headphones at all.  no mixing, no cueing, no playback whatsoever.  my microphone also does not accept input.  the microphone button is lit on the controller, and is reflected in vdj.  the microphone is switched on (as it worked yesterday and i havent changed anything).

im using windows 7.  all updates are up-to-date.  i dont know what additional information may be needed.

if anyone has any suggestions to getting this set up and working the way its designed, ill be forever thankful. 

As far as additional information, detailled specifications of your computer (processor model and speed, amount of memory) and the exact version of Virtual DJ you are using would help to get a sense of what you are working with.

BSOD can have many causes, but since this one seems related to the ASIO driver, you might start by:

- Verifying that the DJ 4Set is correctly installed and enumerated by the computer, as described in the following document:

- Uninstall and softwares and drivers that could be potential source of conflict with Virtual DJ or the console's drivers (other music softwares, ASIO4all, etc);

- Try using other cables or other USB ports;

Topic starter

As far as additional information, detailled specifications of your computer (processor model and speed, amount of memory) and the exact version of Virtual DJ you are using would help to get a sense of what you are working with.

BSOD can have many causes, but since this one seems related to the ASIO driver, you might start by:

- Verifying that the DJ 4Set is correctly installed and enumerated by the computer, as described in the following document:

- Uninstall and softwares and drivers that could be potential source of conflict with Virtual DJ or the console's drivers (other music softwares, ASIO4all, etc);

- Try using other cables or other USB ports;

Thank you for your reply!

I'm using Virtual DJ Pro 7.0.5

My system is as follows:
AMD FX 4100; 3.6ghz Quad-Core processor
8gb RAM
Windows 7 x64
Nvidia GT640 (though I dont think it matters)

The settings on my system are identical to those as described in PDF.  I see all 3 entries as hardware, and then the 1 additional entry as a soundcard.  However, when I set 4Set as the default playback device, I can't play anything in VDJ.  It shows that I click play, but nothing happens on screen, and obviously there is no sound.
[Device Manager Screen Shot: http://gyazo.com/dbc2835bcb325766f48cdb2d35a78181 ]

I have now uninstalled the drivers (and deleted the remaining files manually) three different times and re-installed after a reboot from the drivers located on ts.hercules.com as these are the only drivers I can find available online.
When I remove ASIO4all, Virtual DJ reverts back to using Hercules DJ 4Set as the soundcard in the config menu.  I believe this is where my problem lies.  As long as VDJ treats the Controller as the sound card, I inevitably receive a BSOD.
[VDJ Config Settings: http://gyazo.com/bf6cfcbd751562bc129780f8ca8f09dc ]

I've currently tried 2 different cables (my printer cable, because I know for fact it is working), and 4 different USB ports. 2 USB2.0 ports on the back, 1 USB2.0 port on the front, and 1USB3.0 on the back, no varying results.

Thanks for the info.

Something in your Device Manager make me curious. Under Sound,Video and game controllers, the component WsAudio_DeviceS(1) seemed a little strange to me. It may or may not be liked to something instaled on your system, but this device (and associated .dll) happen to be the cause of problems for user.

Please try the following:

- do a right-click on this components and select Uninstall

- Shut down and reboot the computer

- Open Device Manager and see if the commponent is enumerated again. 

Regarding VDJ, if you are using the LE version included with the 4Set, I would recommend creating a profile on VDJ website and registering your serial number, which will in turn allow you to download the latest update (v7.4.2). This obviously also apply if your are using the Pro verison. 

Topic starter

WsAudio_DeviceS(1) comes packaged with Wondershare, which is what I generally use for file conversions, for future reference.

Despite this, I uninstalled the driver and and updated VDJ to 7.4.
I am now able to set Hercules 4Set as the soundcard in the config options, however when I tell it to use the Hercules 4Set mic jack it crashes to a BSOD with the originak HDJAsioK.sys error.

I am still not receiving any sound from the headphones from the jack on the controller either.

Alternatively, I'm now able to set my gaming headset (Turtle Beach PLa) as both the headset and the microphone, and since ASIO4All forces the audio to playback through my computer speakers, this is, at least, a workable temporary solution.

So, you get the error and BSOD in VDJ when selecting the following configuration, correct ?

Topic starter

That is correct.  The "Outputs" and "Sound card" drop-down menus were pre-selected to those settings.

"Inputs" was set to none.  It crashes immediately after selecting "Microphone" with the original .sys error.

Could you try the following test ?

1) Download the following software:

http://www.tropicalcoder.com/ASIOTestSigGen.htm

2) Before launching the application,be sure that

- the DJ Console is set to ASIO in the Control panel

- VDJ or other applications susceptible of using the ASIO driver are closed.

3) Upon launching ASIOSinGen, configure as follow:

- Select ASIO driver:

Obviously choose the Console driver

- Select Device Output:

I would choose the headphone output (Output 3/4) since you can easily control the volume (be sure to lower the volume before proceeding with the test).

Once this is done, click any of the wave or noise button which will send a short signal in the headphone. If you can hear the signal, then the ASIO driver is working correctly.

IF however you get an error message or BSOD, then there may be a problem with the ASIO driver.

4) Switch to WDM in the control panel. Launch ASIOSinGen again.

You should normally get the following window message:

Can't interface with an ASIO driver - Exiting!

Change the audio mode to ASIO and launch ASIOSinGen again. If you are able to launch the applications normally, then the control panel and the ASIO driver are working correctly and that the problem is most probably related to the VDJ installation.

Also, try changing the ASIO buffer value in the control panel to see if this makes a difference:

Topic starter

With VDJ closed, I confirmed that the audio mode was set to "ASIO" in the Hercules TrayAgent. 
I toggled the settings as follows:
http://gyazo.com/70fb423516dd2b0fd208a680575495e5

I then verify that the controller is powered on and that every possible volume knob is turned to at least the 50% mark.  No sound comes through the headset that is plugged directly into the controller, the computer speakers, or my gaming headset (that I mentioned was working previously).  Using the same settings, but selection ASIO4All, I hear test sounds on Output 1/2 through my computer speakers, but nowhere through any of the additional settings.

After toggling the audio mode to WDM:
I re-launch ASIOSigGen and receive no errors.  However, it no longer lists the Hercules controller under "Select ASIO device."  It only shows ASIO4ALL v2, which responds in the same manner as it did when it was selected in the TrayAgent.

Adjusting the buffer rate doesn't seem to produce any different results.  Just for assurance, I confirmed that volume levels for all programs and devices currently running on my computer are at least at 75%.

Remember that when an ASIO driver is selected by an application, only the outputs of the selected device can be use. So when you tell ASIOSinGen to use the 4Set, it will not send any signal to your computer integrated soundcard or USB headset.

Given the situation, it might be worth looking into using VDJ Advanced Audio configuration, as explained from page 13 of the following guide:

I would think for example to use the Output of the 4Set for your main and USB headset for headphone preview and microphone.

Topic starter

I followed the model on page 13 and still received just silence.

As it is, I've just accepted that I'll only ever use this device for practice and learning, which is fine - since that's what I bought it for.  I'll just have to buy a better quality (more recent?) controller in the future as I'm still convinced that this is a driver problem and not a hardware problem. Perhaps in the future I'll try to add an additional soundcard to my computer and see if I receive better results, but for now I'm able to get the full "experience" using my PC headset -- I just wish I hadn't spent all the money on the additional peripherals. Money mouth

For what it's worth, I'm able to set VDJ to point towards the native ASIO driver and not ASIO4All without my computer crashing/BSoD'ing, but regardless of settings I either get silence, or a very very choppy audio from my computer speakers; but at least my computer isn't crashing anymore, and VDJ opens flawlessly each time - and really that was the biggest problem I was seeking help with.

I don't have any small speakers that I can plug into the Output on the back of the controller, and when I plug a set of earbuds into the mono jack I also get no audio.

I'd also like to mention in regards to the initial error HDJAsioK.sys:  I believe this error may have been the result of the device being plugged in/powered by a USB 3.0 port.  I'm not sure, but it's really the only physical change I made throughout the course of events, and it seems to have corrected it when it was placed back into a 2.0 port.

Thanks again for all your help DJ Phatso. As far as I'm concerned this thread can be mark closed. It works well enough, I suppose, and frankly I find myself spending more time trying to figure out why it's not working than I am learning to use it.