Notifications
Clear all

using a microphone on the rmx

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi all,

ive been using my hercules rmx for a few years now and today i bought myself a microphone (behringer xm8500) to use with the rmx. i hooked it up on one of the mic inputs but its not working. ive been fiddling around with the configurations but no luck yet.

could someone tell me what the configuration is in the hercules control panel and in virtual dj 7 to make this work?

thanks in advance.

These documents contain all the information you need to use your microphone with VDJ:

Topic starter

Thanks for your fast response.

I've read both of these beforehand and none of these documents explain the configuration to just use the mic on the RMX. I don't need to record the microphone input either.

Here's the configuration I'm using:

In VDJ 7:

- Inputs: microphone
- Outputs: headphones
- Sound card: DJConsole RMX
(Master: chan 1-2, Headphones: 3-4 and "eq on external inputs" is checked)

In the Hercules TrayAgent:

- Input 1-2: MIC

When I press "apply" in VDJ it says there is an error in the ASIO sound driver.

Hello,

You must make sure on DJ Console Rmx control panel the audio mode is set on ASIO and not in WDM, otherwise you get the error message "Error in the ASIO sound driver: Your soundcard is probably not connected, or the settings are incorrect."

As you don't need to record the microphone, you don't need to set the microphone as a source in VirtualDJ since DJ Console Rmx mixes the microphone in hardware, without going through the software, which avoids latency on the microphone input.

Here is a sound setup which works on my side in VDJ 7.4.1 Pro:
- Inputs: None
- Outputs: Headphones                               Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphones: Chan 3&4
- Sound Card: ASIO drivers                          Hercules DJ Console RMX ASIO

Topic starter

Thanks for the info!

Thing is, I don't have "Hercules dj console RMX ASIO" as an option. It only says "ASIO4ALL v2" (I'm not sure if that should be a problem). The problem here is that when I use this particular setup, the music won't play in VDJ. The mic still doesn't work either.

Hello,

Using ASIO4All is the reason for your problem: VirtualDJ integrates natively DJ Console Rmx ASIO settings so if you write "DJConsole RMX" as sound card, it doesn't look for an ASIO4ALL driver but for DJ Console Rmx ASIO driver.

If you absolutely want to use ASIO4All, here is a compatible sound setup (but I suggest you use Hercules ASIO drivers instead, as in my previous settings).

Topic starter

The only option I have is "ASIO4ALL v2" when I pick ASIO driver. Would it be a good idea to reinstall the drivers to get the "Hercules dj console RMX ASIO" driver?

Hello,

There is no problem on your computer: if, in the sound setup, you can set the Rmx with "Apply Eq on external inputs", it is an ASIO setting (I got the "Hercules DJ Console RMX ASIO" item in the ASIO Driver menu just because I was coming from another option).

Set the sound as follows:
- Inputs: None
- Outputs: Headphones                               Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphones: Chan 3&4
- Sound Card: DJConsole Rmx                      Check the option: Apply Eq on external inputs

call the DJ Console Rmx control panel, and set the Audio mode in ASIO

then, in VirtualDJ, click on Apply, and OK.

Topic starter

I tried the exact same setup, still no sound coming from the mic.

I heard that the mic's impedance should be between 1 and 64 Ohm. The Behringer mic is 150 ohm. Could this be the problem?

Hello N.,

No, the mic impedance is not causing this problem: I use microphones up to 600 ohms on Rmx.
Using a microphone whose impedance is higher than expected may produce a lower output level than needed  (it also depends on the sensibility of the microphone), but if you have no sound, it is not the problem, and I suppose a 150-ohm microphone should be OK.

Have you tried connecting the microphone with the same audio cable on another audio device to make sure everything is OK?
There are several possible routing of XLR to 1/4" (I have 2 microphones with XLR outputs needing different XLR to 1/4" cables: both cables mechanically fit in both microphones, but if I mix up the cables and connect the cable of Microphone A in Microphone B and vice versa, I get no sound at all with both microphones).

Topic starter

I haven't tested that yet. I'll do that this weekend and I'll post the results here.

Thanks again for your help.