Notifications
Clear all

hercules mk4 firmware problem

15 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi guys,
ive got a problem with my hercules mk4 console: yesterday ive installed it on my new mac and the software updater asked me to update the firmware, but, when the procedure correctly finished, it has bricked my device.
now ive tried on another mac, but it doesnt work.
the dj console series firmware updater havent got any signs of life, ive tried to connect it pressing the mic on/off button and the load a load b ones, but it still doesnt work.
any ideas?
thanks in advance! 🙂 

You might want to contact Technical Support.

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=contact

What is your MAC model by the way (Applications > Utilities > System Information)?

Topic starter

I've got the same problem, and have already emailed Technical Support.

I'll tell you what happened on my end: While the firmware update was progressing, I neglected to hold down the "Mic On/Off" button as required while unplugging and plugging in the unit.

The reason I didn't properly follow the instructions? A poorly designed dialog box hid the "Hold down the 'Mic On/Off' button" command. Hey, if the end user makes a mistake due to poorly conveyed instructions, whose fault is that, I wonder.

By the way, I'm on an 2013 MBA, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7; OS X 10.9.4.

In the current state, what happens if you connect the console to the USB while holding the MIC button ?

Topic starter

Hello, DJ Phatso, and thank you for your entry.

When connecting to my MacBook Air, nothing happens when I connect my console while holding the MIC button.

The LEDs of the console do not come ON?

Is the console present in System Profiler (under Hardware > USB)?

If you open the Firmware Updater (Applications > Hercules > DJSeries > updater > manual_update), is the console detected in Boot mode?

Have you tried using a powered USB hub between the computer and the console?

Topic starter

Yes, you are correct: The LEDs of the console do not come on. And thank you for your suggestions. Under "System Information" (the new name replacing "System Profiler," the USB device is detected, but uknown, as shown here:

"Vendor-Specific Device:

Product ID:    0x3200
  Vendor ID:    0x0451  (Texas Instruments)
  Version:     0.00
  Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:    USB Device - By Haim Eliyahu
  Location ID:    0x14200000 / 6
  Current Available (mA):    500
  Current Required (mA):    Unknown (Device has not been configured)"

Furthermore, I'm getting a script error when attempting to run the Updater in the aforementioned directory:

sh: /Applications/Hercules/DJSeries/updater/Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater: No such file or directory

Mind you, this is with the device connected, and the machine is running in Safe Mode.
Thanks in advance for any other ideas.

Topic starter

And, sorry, I forgot to mention the current draw is fine. A powered USB hub doesn't seem to do the trick.

Topic starter

While we're at it, just an FYI: the US customer support number (18668895036) is not working on the following page:

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=contact <

Furthermore, I'm getting a script error when attempting to run the Updater in the aforementioned directory:

sh: /Applications/Hercules/DJSeries/updater/Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater: No such file or directory

Mind you, this is with the device connected, and the machine is running in Safe Mode.

Any reason why you are running in Safe mode?

And the path I indicated was for the Manual Updater (Applications > Hercules > DJSeries > updater > manual_update).

However, the fact that the MK4 looks to be detected as a Texas Instrument makes me think that the chip was somehow reseted to its manufacturing state, which would make it impossible to apply the Console firmware. A replacement would be necessary at this point.

As for the Technical Support number, maybe there was a problem yesterday, but it is working this morning.

Topic starter

Not knowing any better, I thought Safe mode referred to the computer and not the console. Make sense?

Thank you for helping me pursue this. Hopefully I don't have a paperweight.

In any event I ran the following procedure on my 2013 MacBook Air, as well as a late 2012 Mac Mini. In both cases the console did not show up. In the "Manual Updater" dialog box I got the "No Hardware Detected" regardless of the machine or the USB cable (I used different USB cables). Following is tech support's quote:

"In this situation you will need to do a manual firmware update.

In order for you to do that you will first have to install the latest drivers for your MAC:
http://ts.hercules.com/download/pub/webupdate/DJCSeries/DJSeriesInstall_5_03s.dmg

After that you will have to connect the console in boot mode.

You will be able to do that by pressing the MIC on/off button and while holding the button pressed connect the console to the Mac.

After that please keep the button pressed another 5-10 seconds then release it.

If on your screen it will appear automatically a panel for the automatic firmware update please follow the on-screen instructions.

If not you will have to do a manual firmware update.

In this case you will have to go to

Applications > Hercules > DJ Series Updater > Manual_update

Click on the the Open Audio button, then browse for the 4MK audio firmware file and click open.

Then check the Flash box and press Update! to apply the new firmware to the device.

Please do this procedure on you MAC using a different USB cable and a different USB port.

If the issue persist please try the same procedure on a different MAC."

Topic starter

Thank you for helping me pursue this. Hopefully I don't have a paperweight.

In any event I ran the following procedure on my 2013 MacBook Air, as well as a late 2012 Mac Mini. In both cases the console did not show up. In the "Manual Updater" dialog box I got the "No Hardware Detected" regardless of the machine or the USB cable (I used different USB cables). Following is tech support's quote:

"<...>."

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem with my MK4. I've tried the procedure you described above both on my MacBook Air and on my PC running Windows 7. When connecting the console with the MIC On/Off button pressed, it shows up as 'Unknown Device'  in the Windows device manager. Moreover, the manual Firmware Updater remains idle/blank, not recognizing that a Hercules device is connected :/ 

Therefore, in the list of steps in your post, I cannot click the 'Open Audio' button, nor can I select 'Hercules MK4 Console' for that matter, as the dropdown box remains empty.

Did you manage to re-flash your console and fix the problem? If so, how?

I also mailed technical support on this issue, looking forward to their response. 

Hello Goofus,

It may be a power issue (updating the firmware is more power consuming than other operations on DJ Console Mk4).
Can you try the following process
- connect your MK4 to a USB hub which has an independant power supply,
- connect the USB hub to your Windows 7 computer,
- and try the manual firmware updater
Click on Windows button > Run
and type
"C:\Program Files\Hercules\Audio\DJ Console Series\firmware\HDJSeriesUpdater.exe" –manual
in keeping the " signs.

PS: you should complete your profile (in My Space > My Profile: describe your equipment) in describing your computers: brand, model, operating system (for example Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1), CPU, RAM, motherboard (in case it is a desktop), USB 2 or 3.0 ports...

Topic starter

Hi Maxdjack,

Thanks for your answer.

I went through all of the procedures that are listed in this thread (and that were confirmed to me by the Hercules helpdesk in the meantime) on my Windows 7 PC as well as on an older Windows XP PC, using both a separate USB 2.0 powered hub and the USB 2.0 ports at the back of the pc with 2 different USB cables (of which I can confirm that they both are working on my printer).

All attempts failed, as

• the pc does not recognize the device as a Hercules MK4 consoles, yet it is listed as 'Unknown Device' in the Device Manager.
  • the Hercules software does not list the device in the Manual firmware updating tool.

The pc notices that 'something' is connected to the USB port, but does not identify it correctly - even when holding the Mic On/Off button. I assume that this causes the firmware tool to ignore this USB device as eligible for firmware flashing.

At this point, I assume that a previous firmware update attempt failed completely - leaving the chip of the MK4 with rubbish. I guess what I need to do to get it fixed is to reflash the chip with the MK4 firmware.

Possible solutions could be:

• A way to allow the Manual firmware updating tool to access the 'Unknown USB Device' and to have it apply the regular Firmware update. 
  • A different tool that would allow me to flash the MK4 chip with the MK4_TUSB_F.dja file. 

Could anyone help me with either of these two, or are their any other ideas or suggestions that could fix my MK4's chip?

Hello,

In Windows 7 Device Manager, do you get a group
"Hercules DJ Devices"
in which you find
"Hercules DJ Console Mk4 Bulk"?

Topic starter

Same Problem here with an old RMX DJ Console.
Installed the new drivers on a Win 7 system. Driver recognize console and prompt me to update.
I did everything as prompted by the firmware updater.
After audio update is done, firmware updater prompted me to unplug and replug again.
Since then the console it recognised as Vendor ID 0451 and Product ID 3200, which is the Texas Instrument chip it is probably based on.
The hercules support told me that it was my own fault and is not willing to help.
There must be a way to bring back the firmware to the Texas Instrument Chip

Page 1 / 2