for the tech guys h...

Notifications
Clear all

for the tech guys here at hercules

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i have no problem with this but ive been seeing in the virtualdj forums, alot of guys with problems with headphone monitoring on the rmx.

the problem is they dont seen to be able to monitor one side without having both coming out though the speakers. they all seem to have the right setting, and i doubt very much its a virtualdj (programming fault)

could this issue be looked into. as i believe you may have a few units returned back to you.

4 Answers
Topic starter

I have no problem with this but I've been seeing in the VirtualDJ forums, alot of guys with problems with headphone monitoring on the RMX.

The problem is they don't seen to be able to monitor one side without having both coming out though the speakers. They all seem to have the right setting, and I doubt very much it's a VirtualDJ (programming fault)

Could this issue be looked into. As I believe you may have a few units returned back to you.

In my opinion, Guillemot's involvement with the community as a whole, needs to really improve.

Apart from the problems many are having with Virtual DJ, there are also quite a few problems that users are having with Traktor.

Example:

"So I've tryed using external inputs to Traktor via my laptops internal sound card with out having the RMX hooked up and it works fine, which means the problem is with the RMX. I emailed tech support at Hercules but they just said to refer to the instructions in the Traktor manual. So I guess I'll have to call them on the phone. (which is a bit of a bummer cause I'm in Australia and I'll have to call them in America. Hope they don't put me on hold for too long...) "

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64095&page=7

Seems to me that the RMX and Steel are primarily used with Traktor and Virtual DJ so perhaps a good show of support from Guillemot would be to have expertise on these products that customers can reference rather than depending 100% on the community to sort out issues or simply referring customers back to the manuals of the applications that they are trying to use. This is going to require deeper collaborations with the companies who produce the applications.

Call me emotional but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of ongoing marketing and promotion of the RMX and Steel. People seem to have been left upon an island to learn how to fish for themselves, so to speak. At the very least, have an engineer from the company monitor the forums of the above-mentioned applications and be proactive about helping the community to solve issues.

4 Answers

Hello Jimmy,

I don't remember seeing the problem you mention, but my opinion is that people who have this issue in the headphones are

- or users of VirtualDJ DJC 5.0.7 with the Monitor setting set on Mix instead of Cue (with the first VirtualDJ 5 version, the Mix position was not Mix but Deck A+Deck B)

- either users of VirtualDJ Pro who, in VirtualDJ Sound Setup panel, have inversed the output setting:  the good setting is "Output: Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphones: Chan 3&4" and if you take the wrong setting (Output: Master: Chan 3&4 / Headphones: Chan 1&2), then you have the mix in the headphones.

4 Answers

Hello sedohr,

1) Many of the requests for technical help can indeed be answered to by "please read the manual on page X".

2) Some requests for technical help cannot be answered to, simply because the users don't describe the problem, they just say it doesn't work without describing the
- computer type: laptop or desktop,
- computer configuration (processor and RAM)
- software version number,
- driver version number,
- audio mode (ASIO or WDM),
- connections: which source is connected on each audio input / which device is connected on each audio output / what is the USB port where the DJ Console is connected ?
- symptoms.
If the user doesn't take the time to write these pieces of information in a mail, who can guess it and give a precise answer to a request which lacks this basic information?
In the example you give of an australian user, we know neither
- his platform (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS 10.4, Mac OS 10.5)
- Traktor version (is it Traktor 3.3 DJ Studio, Traktor Pro?)
- DJ Console Rmx driver version
- number of inputs in use (1 or 2 stereo input), and the kind of external audio source connected (phono or line...)
- what is the problem; no sound, bad sound quality, saturation, ....
Do you seriously expect an efficient technical help if the user don't describe completely the problem?

3) Many people answering to the community on forums are encouraged to help forum users by Hercules, whether they work directly for Hercules or for Hercules distributors, or are partners of Guillemot, or work in a company working for Hercules, or have been developers or beta testers for Guillemot (I am a beta tester of the Rmx). It doesn't mean that answering on forum is my job, it just means that if I see a specific problem I cannot solve on forum and if I can reproduce this problem, I can ask my contact in Hercules if he knows a solution (if I can describe the issue with enough details to make this issue understandable) and if Hercules doesn't know the problem, they can work on it.

4 Answers
Topic starter

Hello sedohr,

1) Many of the requests for technical help can indeed be answered to by "please read the manual on page X".

2) Some requests for technical help cannot be answered to, simply because the user don't describe the problem, they just say it doesn't work without describing the
- computer configuration,
- driver version number,
- audio mode (ASIO or WDM),
- connections (what is connected to each audio output and input, what is the USB port where the DJ Console is connected),
- symptoms.
If the user doesn't take the time to write these pieces of information in a mail, who can guess it and give a precise answer to a request which lacks this basic information?
In the example you give of an australian user, we know neither
- the platform (PC or Mac, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS 10.4, Mac OS 10.5)
- the version of Traktor (is it Traktor 3.3 DJ Studio, Traktor Pro?)
- the version of DJ Console Rmx driver
- the number of inputs in use (1 or 2 stereo input), and the external audio source connected (phono or line...)
- the symptom (no idea what is the problem; no sound, bad sound quality, saturation, ....)
Do you seriously expect an efficient technical help if you don't describe completely the problem you meet?

Catching up on replies...

1. I won't argue on that point. There has been a many RTFM quotes delivered by yours truly.

2. My experience is that a lot of people don't know how to file a proper bug report much less accurately describe their problem so yes, sometimes technical support personnel need to be mind-readers of sorts. In my field, we have what are called escalation templates that have those same qualifying questions that you listed so that people (1) can provide us with needed information from the start and (2) they build knowledge of what things to check by having that template presented to them.

Hercules TS may very well have that in place. I wouldn't know because my RMX works great!  Smile

4 Answers
Topic starter

i have no problem with this but ive been seeing in the virtualdj forums, alot of guys with problems with headphone monitoring on the rmx.

the problem is they dont seen to be able to monitor one side without having both coming out though the speakers. they all seem to have the right setting, and i doubt very much its a virtualdj (programming fault)

could this issue be looked into. as i believe you may have a few units returned back to you.

in my opinion, guillemots involvement with the community as a whole, needs to really improve.

apart from the problems many are having with virtual dj, there are also quite a few problems that users are having with traktor.

example:

"so ive tryed using external inputs to traktor via my laptops internal sound card with out having the rmx hooked up and it works fine, which means the problem is with the rmx. i emailed tech support at hercules but they just said to refer to the instructions in the traktor manual. so i guess ill have to call them on the phone. (which is a bit of a bummer cause im in australia and ill have to call them in america. hope they dont put me on hold for too long...) "

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64095&page=7

seems to me that the rmx and steel are primarily used with traktor and virtual dj so perhaps a good show of support from guillemot would be to have expertise on these products that customers can reference rather than depending 100% on the community to sort out issues or simply referring customers back to the manuals of the applications that they are trying to use. this is going to require deeper collaborations with the companies who produce the applications.

call me emotional but there just doesnt seem to be a lot of ongoing marketing and promotion of the rmx and steel. people seem to have been left upon an island to learn how to fish for themselves, so to speak. at the very least, have an engineer from the company monitor the forums of the above-mentioned applications and be proactive about helping the community to solve issues.

Topic starter

hello jimmy,

i dont remember seeing the problem you mention, but my opinion is that people who have this issue in the headphones are

- or users of virtualdj djc 5.0.7 with the monitor setting set on mix instead of cue (with the first virtualdj 5 version, the mix position was not mix but deck a+deck b)

- either users of virtualdj pro who, in virtualdj sound setup panel, have inversed the output setting:  the good setting is "output: master: chan 1&2 / headphones: chan 3&4" and if you take the wrong setting (output: master: chan 3&4 / headphones: chan 1&2), then you have the mix in the headphones.

Topic starter

hello sedohr,

1) many of the requests for technical help can indeed be answered to by "please read the manual on page x".

2) some requests for technical help cannot be answered to, simply because the users dont describe the problem, they just say it doesnt work without describing the
- computer type: laptop or desktop,
- computer configuration (processor and ram)
- driver version number,
- audio mode (asio or wdm),
- connections: which source is connected on each audio input / which device is connected on each audio output / what is the usb port where the dj console is connected ?
- symptoms.
if the user doesnt take the time to write these pieces of information in a mail, who can guess it and give a precise answer to a request which lacks this basic information?
in the example you give of an australian user, we know neither
- his platform (windows xp, windows vista, mac os 10.4, mac os 10.5)
- traktor version (is it traktor 3.3 dj studio, traktor pro?)
- dj console rmx driver version
- number of inputs in use (1 or 2 stereo input), and the kind of external audio source connected (phono or line...)
- what is the problem; no sound, bad sound quality, saturation, ....
do you seriously expect an efficient technical help if the user dont describe completely the problem?

3) many people answering to the community on forums are encouraged to help forum users by hercules, whether they work directly for hercules or for hercules distributors, or are partners of guillemot, or work in a company working for hercules, or have been developers or beta testers for guillemot (i am a beta tester of the rmx). it doesnt mean that answering on forum is my job, it just means that if i see a specific problem i cannot solve on forum and if i can reproduce this problem, i can ask my contact in hercules if he knows a solution (if i can describe the issue with enough details to make this issue understandable) and if hercules doesnt know the problem, they can work on it.

Topic starter

hello sedohr,

1) many of the requests for technical help can indeed be answered to by "please read the manual on page x".

2) some requests for technical help cannot be answered to, simply because the user dont describe the problem, they just say it doesnt work without describing the
- computer configuration,
- driver version number,
- audio mode (asio or wdm),
- connections (what is connected to each audio output and input, what is the usb port where the dj console is connected),
- symptoms.
if the user doesnt take the time to write these pieces of information in a mail, who can guess it and give a precise answer to a request which lacks this basic information?
in the example you give of an australian user, we know neither
- the platform (pc or mac, windows xp, windows vista, mac os 10.4, mac os 10.5)
- the version of traktor (is it traktor 3.3 dj studio, traktor pro?)
- the version of dj console rmx driver
- the number of inputs in use (1 or 2 stereo input), and the external audio source connected (phono or line...)
- the symptom (no idea what is the problem; no sound, bad sound quality, saturation, ....)
do you seriously expect an efficient technical help if you dont describe completely the problem you meet?

catching up on replies...

1. i wont argue on that point. there has been a many rtfm quotes delivered by yours truly.

2. my experience is that a lot of people dont know how to file a proper bug report much less accurately describe their problem so yes, sometimes technical support personnel need to be mind-readers of sorts. in my field, we have what are called escalation templates that have those same qualifying questions that you listed so that people (1) can provide us with needed information from the start and (2) they build knowledge of what things to check by having that template presented to them.

hercules ts may very well have that in place. i wouldnt know because my rmx works great!  smile