rmx jog wheels disa...

Notifications
Clear all

rmx jog wheels disabled with tractor

60 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi yall. i am so digging the rmx. so far its been performing brilliantly during my gigs. of course tractor settings needed some tweeking before i could get the sound quality up to the level of club performance.

but i still havent been able to activate the jog wheels on this looker of a machine. i want to be able to cue tracks using the jog wheels as well as scracth. any pointers? anyone else facing a similar problem with rmx + tractor combo?

thanks guys,
soul

30 Answers
Topic starter

you can scratch in traktor too... i don`t remember exactly how... try a pause or a stop on the track and then try... also, mase sure you got the latest TKS file from herc...

30 Answers

SoulGroove,

Are you using the Tracktor preset for the Rmx , available on the support site?

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=2&fid=28&pid=215&cid=5

If so, you'll see in the configuration document that the jog wheels are assigned to Seek, and that by pressing the STOP buttons ( the one with the square), You'll switch to Scratch mode.

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. Phatso, yes, I am using the presets you mentioned. Albeit the link you sent across gives an error message.

I tried pressing the STOP buttons as well as a whole lot of other permutations. Jog wheels still not working. Maybe it's the control panel. It just says in there that the jog wheels are enabled and does not provide me with an option to change that. Seems like the default setting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps in advance.

30 Answers
Topic starter

normally you should have 4 options:

- both jogs active
- deactivate jog for deck a
- deactivate jog for deck b
- deactivate both

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks HHK. I am getting those 4 options. But even after selecting "Enable both jogs", the jog wheels refuse to show any signs of life.

Any suggestions here would help as I have a gig tomorrow and am desperately trying to work this feature on the RMX so I can scratch some.

Thanks heaps guys -

SG

30 Answers
Topic starter

Check the following link:

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=2&fid=28&pid=215&cid=6

At the end of the page you will find a link about how to test if your dj console is working correctly as a midi controller. make sure it`s not a hardware issue 🙂 (you can also try this with the Virtual DJ that came with the console)

hope i helped 😀

30 Answers

Hello SoulGroove,

1) You should open such topics in the Software Subjects, instead of the Hardware: Traktor is a software, so an issue specific to a software is not hardware.

2) An answer to your question is in the topic http://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-gb/forum/en-software/000691/ .

30 Answers
Topic starter

HHK, thanks. Did what you recommended. The RMX works absolutely fine as a MIDI controller. So apparently it's not a hardware issue. Thanks heaps for pointing me to the direction you did. Another base covered.

Maxdjack, hi: your point about this being a software issue (and hence to be posted in the appropriate forum section) is well taken. I also checked out the link you sent across and contributed to. You say -

"Jog wheel functions: the function assigned in Traktor is CD-DJ jog, so you must:
- either enter in Pause mode (push the Play/Pause button), and turn the jog wheel to scratch
- or, to scratch without pausing the deck, keep down the Stop button, and turn the jog wheel to scratch"

I tried that before and now again. Still doesn't work.

Thanks for your help and if you think this issue can be resolved another way please let me know.

SoulGroove

30 Answers
Topic starter

Hi again Maxdjack,

The only missing link I can figure out right now is that in Tractor preferences under MIDI Interfaces (Hotkey and MIDI Setup) RMX shows up as active in MIDI In but not under MIDI Out. In fact MIDI Out section does not show up at all (just MIDI In under MIDI Interfaces). I wonder if that is the source of the problem. Cause according to the Tractor 3-RMX configuration manual at Hercules site, both should show up.

- SG

30 Answers

What version of Traktor are you using exactly ?

You can see it at launch on the splach screen or by clicking on the Traktor logo when you are in the software.  

30 Answers
Topic starter

Hi DJ Phatso,

Tractor version 3.2.2.020

Should I be upgrading to the latest version?

Thanks

30 Answers

Hello Soulgroove,

Yes, the tks preset file on Hercules website was made for Traktor DJ Studio 3.3, so you need to update your version to Traktor DJ Studio 3.3 or 3.4.
It is not an upgrade, it is a free update on Native Instruments website.

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks DJ Phatso and Maxdjack,

I have updated to Tractor 3.4 and can now see the MIDI In and Out Ports in the MIDI Interface section. However the MIDI presets on Hercules website are not working with this version. I have downloaded the tks file and loaded it in the MIDI setup section several times - doesn't work. The "Audio" light on the top panel in Tractor is on but not the "MIDI" when I connect the RMX.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks so much guys. You are great help.

30 Answers

As stated in the configuration document:

- You made sure that the Rmx MIDI channel is set to 1 in ADVANCED tab of the DJ Console Control panel ?

-  You enabled MIDI In and Out in Traktor ( an X should appear in the ACTIVE column next to Hercules DJ Console Rmx) ?

Under normal circumstances, if your have done this then load the preset, it should normally work.

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks DJ Phatso. Problem sorted out. I hadn't enabled MIDI In and Out. It needed double clicking for the Xs to appear.

It's working now. The Jog Wheels are finally working as well. However, I do have a question. All MIDI presets are working fine except the Sync button on the RMX. When I press that it activates track looping instead of synchronising the two tracks.

Any suggestions on what can be done to fix this.

Thanks much,

Soul

30 Answers

While you were trying to troubleshoot the problem, did you ever go and try to modify the preset ?

Do the Loop buttons (Numpad 1 & 4) actually work for Loop also ? 

Scroll the list of control under MIDI SETUP until you find Deck Tempo Sync. You should normally find 4 of them, 2 for Deck A, assigned to CC 7, and CC 31 for DECK B. 

Is that the what you have ?

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks again DJ Phatso. I reloaded the presets and all buttons on the RMX worked just fine (including jog wheels) that is until Saturday night. Horror of horrors.

I had a gig Sat night. Went in for a sound check late afternoon and all was well. When I landed at night and began setting up my gear the RMX refused to work. Everytime I'd connect it to my Powerbook's USB port, all the lights on RMX would flash. I restarted my computer a bunch of times and tried a number of things but to no avail. Had to play directly from the computer that night. Oh well...let it be a lesson to me to have back-up gear.

The problem still persists and today I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the RMX drivers. Still when I connect the RMX the lights keep on flashing and the RMX control panel does not open up. In Tractor under MIDI Interface the RMX does not show up as well.

I wonder what happened that suddenly the computer and the RMX have ceased communicating with each other. Any thoughts on this predicament?

As always, much gratitude for your insights and solutions.

Soul

30 Answers

Sounds like it might either be the Firmware of the RMX or a power issues with the USB port.

I guess you've tried out all the USB ports of the Powerbook ?

These are different computers than the MACbook, but they may have similar restrictions regarding the USB ports

As for the firmware, check the following:

- Connect the Rmx to the computer

- Go to Applications>Hercules>updater, and double click on manual_update. This will launch the Firmware updater application

- under Current, you should see the firmware presently used by the Rmx. With the latest driver , it should be 6 and 29

Is that what you see ?

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks for the prompt response DJ Phatso,

Yes, tried out all the USB ports. Same problem. Also checked out the pdf about the which USB ports to use. That's not a problem as the RMX has been working fine for the last couple of months on the USB port I've been hooking it up in.

Could be firmware which I have no idea about. I tried what you suggested. Went to Applications>Hercules>RMX>updater

The message I get is:

"There is no default application specified to open the document Manual_Update".

And it gives me an option to "Choose Application". I don't know which one to choose.

Bit lost at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Soul

30 Answers

Strange..this should work with the latest driver...

No problem, just launch it manually from the Terminal (Applications > Utilities)

- First, copy the UPDATER directory

- in the Terminal, type cd , paste the information you previously copied (Apple-V), then press Enter

- Type ./manual_update , then Enter

30 Answers
Topic starter

Hey Phat one,

"DJ Console Series Firmware Updater" popped up when I followed your instructions.

It said - "Hardware not present" even though the RMX was connected (flashing away to glory).

Firmware Controller under Current showed n/a. Same with Firmware Audio. Likewise under Available.

Where to from here?

Thanks so much for helping me with this.

Soul

30 Answers

Umm....

With the updater window open, try connecting the console while holding the MIC ON/Off button pressed for about 10 sec once connected. Unplg and replug.

Any changes ?

What verison of OS X are you using BTW ?

30 Answers
Topic starter

Hi Phatso,

Did that with no changes.

OS X 10.4.9

Thanks,

Soul

30 Answers

Do you have the possibility of trying it out on another computer (PC or MAC) to see if yo get the same type of behaviour ?

I have a feeling something might have hapenned to the firmware (shock, powersurge, etc), so I'd like to confirm it before going to the next step.

That might sound like a weird question, but do you hear as if something was loose inside , or moving ? 

30 Answers
Topic starter

I'm using the RMX with Tractor 3 - downloaded from NI's site. To test the RMX on another computer, I will have to pay for and download Tractor again on the other computer.

Is there any other way to test the firmware on my Mac? And if it is indeed damaged, any way to repair it?

This might help. The night it (RMX refusing to work) happened, I had plugged in a chill pad (notebook cooler) into the other USB port before connecting the RMX to its usual USB port. Perhaps that's got something to do with it.

No, I don't hear anything loose or moving inside.

30 Answers

The only thing you would need to install on another computer are the drivers. I just want to see if the firmware can be recovered automatically or manually, and rule out possible issues with your MACbook.

30 Answers
Topic starter

I installed the drivers a couple of times (once from the disc I have and another time from the Hercules support website) on a PC. After installing I tried opening the RMX Control Panel. Doesn'twork. The RMX icon in the task bar shows up with an X on it.

As well, tried launching the firmware updater (Hercules>Firmware>Updater). Doesn't open.

When you asked about something loose or moving inside, were you referring to my Powerbook or the RMX. As I shake the RMX gently, I hear something a little loose in there.

Thanks

30 Answers

If it sounds like something is moving inside, could be that something got loose and made a short, which could have damaged the firmware.

For the states, exchanges has to go through the retailler, so I would check that first, and if this is not possible, contact Technical Support explaining what we did over here and they could arrange for someone to have a look at it, but remember this is not standard procedure.  

30 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks a ton Phatso.

I am traveling right now and will be away from States for a while. Am currently in India. Know of Support here. Should I contact Technical Support for that?

BTW a software related question - since I have a gig tomorrow night, I got an A&H Xone 3D for a while. Sucks in terms of portability. As I was installing it and altering Tractor settings, I lost the crossfader in Tractor. Can't seem to get it back up. Any ideas what might've happened?

Mucho Gracias,

Soul

30 Answers

Given that MIDI In and Out have been enabled correctly for the Xone,  In MIDI Setup, just go to:  

Add > Master > Audio > X-Fader

30 Answers
Page 1 / 5