Notifications
Clear all

hercules dj console rmx -- latency problem

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

wirelessdj - virtualdj vip member (level 4) beta testing team

having owned every dj console that has ever been released, i know what to expect from hercules.  the rmx is a serious piece of hardware built like a tank and looks like it will hold up well to professional use.  

however-- there is a noticable latency problem with the sliders.  i do not notice it with the buttons or jog wheels.  the problem is not the audio, it is the fader sending signals to vdj to fade the sound over. i can almost see the fader in vdj not sliding at the same rate as my hand can move it. when using other controllers (including the mk2) i do not see or hear any real fader lag.  frown

software...
* virtualdj 5.1 professional
* latest hercules drivers (2008_hdjs_2)

others are having the same problem...

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/91657/hardware_technical_support/hercules_rmx_fader_feel_(latency).html?page=1
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/92526/hardware_technical_support/hercules_rmx_-_still_got_problems__.html
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/92593/hardware_technical_support/rmx_and_scratching_with_the_crossfader.html?page=1

honestly it is not a deal breaker, but this needs to be fixed if i am to keep (and recommend) this controller.  one thing i do not understand is that when i set the control panel to asio then launch virtauldj, the hercules software switches back to wdm?? 

as of 7/5/08 (as far as i am know) there are no updates (public or beta release) available from virtualdj that resolve this issue -- so i am reaching out to hercules for support. 

is the rmx that different from the mk2?  the mk2 worked flawlessly?!

thank you in advance for your prompt response,
wirelessdj

6 Answers
Topic starter

Hey I have the same problem, the fader in VDJ not sliding at the same rate as my hand, and alsow with the Bass Mid and Treble. But is it lies to the RMX or the software ? Wenkbrouw ophalen

6 Answers
Topic starter

I think this problem lies with both the RMX and VirtualDJ. I can remember reading a post on the VirtualDJ forum that this issue is being addressed in further updates of the software, but as of yet nothing.

As for the RMX, I believe the drivers are not quite right yet, and can be developed and improved more to stop this issue, you have to remember that it is still a quite new controller.

6 Answers

Hello WirelessDJ,

VirtualDJ automatically changes DJ Console Rmx settings in WDM if you activate no audio inputs, and if you are in WDM, you cannot set the buffer size which means you cannot control the latency.

You should
1) set DJ Console Rmx ASIO settings at 44 KHz - 16-bit - 7ms or 8ms ASIO buffer,
2) and when you run VirtualDJ, set the Rmx for audio WITH EQ ON DJ CONSOLE RMX AUDIO INPUTS
it will set VirtualDJ in ASIO mode (and then avoid VirtualDJ to switch in WDM), and, with 8ms buffer or less, you should feel no latency any longer with Hercules Drivers 2008_HDJS_2.

6 Answers
Topic starter

Hello people,

I'm a dutch user and have the same problems with virtual dj&hercules dj console rmx.
The faders and all of the controls are moving and reacting slowly, and the give a rumbling noise in the master sound.

I've tried many settings to solve this big problem, but can't find it.

Anybody with the same problems?

Many thanks for reactions

6 Answers
Topic starter

Hello WirelessDJ,

VirtualDJ automatically changes DJ Console Rmx settings in WDM if you activate no audio inputs, and if you are in WDM, you cannot set the buffer size which means you cannot control the latency.

You should
1) set DJ Console Rmx ASIO settings at 44 KHz - 16-bit - 7ms or 8ms ASIO buffer,
2) and when you run VirtualDJ, set the Rmx for audio WITH EQ ON DJ CONSOLE RMX AUDIO INPUTS
it will set VirtualDJ in ASIO mode (and then avoid VirtualDJ to switch in WDM), and, with 8ms buffer or less, you should feel no latency any longer with Hercules Drivers 2008_HDJS_2.

It works, thank you very much! 

6 Answers
Topic starter

Just to add another data point to the question of 'is it the RMX or is it the software', I can attest that both Traktor 3.4 and Traktor Pro exhibit no latency below 10ms, at least in my experience with it.

From what it sounds like however, Maxdjack knows the deal.  Cool

6 Answers
Topic starter

hey i have the same problem, the fader in vdj not sliding at the same rate as my hand, and alsow with the bass mid and treble. but is it lies to the rmx or the software ? wenkbrouw ophalen

Topic starter

i think this problem lies with both the rmx and virtualdj. i can remember reading a post on the virtualdj forum that this issue is being addressed in further updates of the software, but as of yet nothing.

as for the rmx, i believe the drivers are not quite right yet, and can be developed and improved more to stop this issue, you have to remember that it is still a quite new controller.

Topic starter

hello wirelessdj,

virtualdj automatically changes dj console rmx settings in wdm if you activate no audio inputs, and if you are in wdm, you cannot set the buffer size which means you cannot control the latency.

you should
1) set dj console rmx asio settings at 44 khz - 16-bit - 7ms or 8ms asio buffer,
2) and when you run virtualdj, set the rmx for audio with eq on dj console rmx audio inputs
it will set virtualdj in asio mode (and then avoid virtualdj to switch in wdm), and, with 8ms buffer or less, you should feel no latency any longer with hercules drivers 2008_hdjs_2.

Topic starter

hello people,

im a dutch user and have the same problems with virtual dj&hercules dj console rmx.
the faders and all of the controls are moving and reacting slowly, and the give a rumbling noise in the master sound.

ive tried many settings to solve this big problem, but cant find it.

anybody with the same problems?

many thanks for reactions

Topic starter

hello wirelessdj,

virtualdj automatically changes dj console rmx settings in wdm if you activate no audio inputs, and if you are in wdm, you cannot set the buffer size which means you cannot control the latency.

you should
1) set dj console rmx asio settings at 44 khz - 16-bit - 7ms or 8ms asio buffer,
2) and when you run virtualdj, set the rmx for audio with eq on dj console rmx audio inputs
it will set virtualdj in asio mode (and then avoid virtualdj to switch in wdm), and, with 8ms buffer or less, you should feel no latency any longer with hercules drivers 2008_hdjs_2.

it works, thank you very much! 

Topic starter

just to add another data point to the question of is it the rmx or is it the software, i can attest that both traktor 3.4 and traktor pro exhibit no latency below 10ms, at least in my experience with it.

from what it sounds like however, maxdjack knows the deal.  cool