impulse control 500...

Notifications
Clear all

impulse control 500 1 week old - right jog tighter than left

30 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
i love the controller, but the right makes scratching and backspins pretty lame.  i recorded a video and already opened a ticket/email with support.
is there any way to loosen up that right wheel so it matches the left (smooth and wonderful).  its brand new and i just tried it for the first time today.
cheers,
futurewiz

Hello Futurewizard,

Welcome to the forum.

The jog wheel smoothness depends on how evenly the grease is spread around the jog-wheel's shaft, and I suppose the grease is more evenly spread on the left jog wheel than on the right jog wheel in your case.

I suggest you store your DJControl Inpulse 500 unit upside down in a warm atmosphere (as 77°F) for 3 hours or more, then, when you take it from its warm upside-down storage, turn very fast the right-sided wheel to spread the grease evenly, and it should be better.

When a DJ controller is shipped by air, big variations of temperature during the travel may alter the grease dispatch around the jog wheel and it may be good to follow this process once after a travel in the hold of the aircraft.

Topic starter

Awesome - that totally makes sense and I'll do that.  Thanks for the quick reply - you guys kick ass.

Topic starter
Just to follow up, I left it outside (I'm in Texas) for 45 mins instead of 3 hours since it's 80-85 degrees.  The left wheel now spins ever better (proper jungle backspins m8) and the right is a little bit looser... Better, but the ratio of left to right remains as the left is now looser too.  I spun the right wheel for a while upside down, right side up, and tilted to the right. 

I'm worried about leaving it out too long but I'll give it 45 more (outside of the sun on the porch).  Anyways, I'll follow up after it has a bit more to get that grease a flowin'

Is it possible to add more grease, or is that possibily the dumbest idea of all time?

Hello,

No, adding or removing grease to get the same feeling on both jog wheels is not the dumbest idea, but it is not so easy to get the same quantity of grease around both shaft as theoretically the same quantity of grease is placed on the jog wheels, but after a month long travel in a container from China to the US, then a travel from the US warehouse to your resseller, and then a travel from the reseller to you it may take some times for the grease to get evenly dispatched around the jog wheels shaft.

In fact, the grease tends to slow down the rotation so the jog wheel which does not turn as well as the other is probably not "lacking" grease, but has probably a bigger amount of grease than the other, but bigger means probably just not so well evenly spread since I believe it is the same total quantity of grease.  

Topic starter

Thanks, this has been very helpful.  I left it upside down on a fluffy blanked it my garage.  It's maybe 75-78f (24c) in there.  It does spin more freely upside down, but that's just gravity.  Either way, it's better than it was and I haven't had a chance to plug it in an play with it yet.  I have faith that it will get where it needs to be with enough time upside down Tongue Out

Topic starter

Well, I'm back where I started.  Unfortunately the right wheel is the same as it was before.  It was a bit looser after leaving it outside in the sun and then spinning the wheel fast for a while.  Any other tricks?

Topic starter

I'm at the same point. When the controller is hot (after leaving aoutside under sun for a while) the jog wheels are smoother, but when it get normal temperature, comeback to previous status 🙁

Topic starter
My real question comes down to this:  Would I (we) need to take anything apart to manually fix the grease distribution problem, or is there a long-term fix that may or may not involve temperature?  I love this controller but the jog wheels need to be spinning equally to use muscle memory scratching techniques.
I'd rather not have to send it in but is that an option?  And if I did, is there a chance it the issue with the grease distribution would occur again during the shipping process?
Topic starter

I'm at the same point. When the controller is hot (after leaving aoutside under sun for a while) the jog wheels are smoother, but when it get normal temperature, comeback to previous status 🙁

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.  It's a very interesting problem that kinda fascinates me. 

Topic starter

Awesome - that totally makes sense and I'll do that.  Thanks for the quick reply - you guys kick ass.

and Did a heat time work?  I have this problem but with hercules Steel on the right side.  I got a DJ Steel over 10 years ago and right dj has always move slow.  I can share a picture on my steel for you to see.  There are screws on the bottom that lose up  the wheels if that helps.  Be careful because you can unscrewthem way to far and break your dj or pop wheel off SurprisedI am going to get Hercules DJ 300 Impulse so I want to know if this happens also for 300?  Does any have Hercules DJ 300 and steel like me.  I think most of the prodcuts do not have a problem.
I can not travel to test 300 at a sotre with covid.  Youtube shows 300 and 500 both work for control very good and I will watch them all! Tongue Out  I will wait to see if you can fix it!!  Pioneer has the high price but DJ400 is not that high.  A DJ Impulse 500 about same prices but I think Hercules DJ 300 is very cool for much less money to start for me. Which is better should I wait???  Look at my Steel DJ.  It is very old ha ha but I can use it if I want to and I do.  Arrows show where I took screws out to make both looser.  I lost some screws but it works still with the missing screws.  Sorry for  ugly photos Cry

Hello FutureWizard,

I have experimented this issue twice, once on a device of another brand (whose friction was in the shaft), and once on a Hercules DJ Console 4-Mx (whose friction was in ball bearings), and in both cases, warming up the device, then moving fast the platter once the device is warm solved gradually the issue in coming to the same friction on both jog wheels.
A friction increase when the temperature decreases is normal, the target is to get a similar friction on both platters.

If you think the friction is not improving, you should contact Hercules technical support to ask for an exchange.
I really do not suggest disassembling a DJControl Inpulse 500 unit which is still under warranty. 

Topic starter

Ok, I'll try leaving it outside in the sun again. 

I'm annoyed that this is even a thing.  I hope I don't need to leave my 500 in the sun before shows. 

I'll try again tomorrow but it's giving me a bit of buyer's remorse

Hello,

I can propose another technical process I can send via the forum private messaging system, but as the forum does not display you in the users list, I suppose in your profile the birth date states you are below 18, and then you have no access to the forum private messaging area.

Please confirm you are below 18, and if it is the case: 
- I send my suggestion of process to Hercules technical support (you sent them a message 1 week ago), 
- and then Hercules technical support forwards you my suggestion,
as this communication path complies with the security rules of the forum.

Topic starter

Hi there - Yes, I am over 18.  I don't see the option to change my DOB via "My Space" but I'll dig around, thank you.  
Edit - I had myself hidden from the list.  I've enabled it and you should be able to PM me.  My email is fine too.  Let me know if you need it .  I opened up a case a week ago but I haven't h baeardck, so I came to the forum.  Should I open another case with Herc?

Hello,

It is perfect, I see you in the user list, so please accept my invitation on
https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/

Topic starter

Thanks 🙂 This forum has been very helpful.  I've accepted the request.

Topic starter
I have the same issue.  Both jogs hardly backspin a quarter turn.  I heated my Inpulse 500 jogs upside down using a hair dryer while I spinned each wheel as fast as I can.  After few minutes, both jogs can backspin almost a full revolution.  It was alright for 20mins, then went back to the same very stiff wheels.
I am in Australia and it's currently winter here.  I was inside the house so temp was between 15-20 deg celcius when I performed the above procedure.  I guess I have to wait for summer to be able to get my jogs to forward and backspin as what a normal pioneer or numark would do (i have a numark ns6ii and pioneer sr2 controllers as well).
🙁

Hello MasyadoSiShadow,

Welcome to the forum.

If you accept my invitation on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/ , I can send you the jog wheel friction update process.

Topic starter

Would love to know how to fix this too 

Hello Gamblor,

Welcome to the forum.
As you invited me, I have sent you the process on the private messaging area of the website, here.

Topic starter

Same issue for me- both jogs hardly spin on a brand new controller, not tried any heat yet as only opened the box yesterday and was surprised they were so tight!

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

The forum is a technical area, trying to elaborate technical answers for elaborated questions: please DESCRIBE precisely what you mean to initiate a real technical exchange. You should add at least 2 more sentences to describe this issue you meet and how you get it, so that someone may be able to answer.

Sentence 1) Describe how tight the jog wheels are?
For example, when you backspin, what is the move of the jog wheel: 1 revolution, half, a quarter?

Sentence 2)  Describe in which conditions you get the controller
For example, what is the temperature in which you store it, and what it is the ambiant temperature?

Topic starter
The tension in the jog wheels means you can achieve a quarter turn back spin, possibly a bit more- watching the video from the OP both of the jog wheels on the controller are as tight as the right hand one shown in the video. 
The unit is brand new and only unboxed yesterday.  Ambient temperature is about 20 degrees celsius and the unit has been stored at that temperature for the last 48 hrs, prior to that I don't know but it was bought from within the UK- so no recent air freight I would guess.   I was just looking to see if there was an easy fix as it's not that warm in the UK at the moment so not easy to leave somewhere to get the temperature over 25 celsius / 77 F. If the jogs are going to loosen over time then that's ok- otherwise I'll just return it and buy a different controller.

Hello Defeye,

Thanks.

1) Backspin rotation of 1/4 revolution: it is not enough, you should achieve a backspin close to 1 full revolution.

2) If it is stored for about  48 hours at 20°C/68°F, it should be OK: what may change the grease temperature is a shipment by plane (after receiving a controller from an internet music retailer, waiting for at least 1 day is better if the parcel arrived by plane).

The easy fix is to store the controller upside down in a warm atmosphere, but 20 celsius / 68 Farenheit should be enough (what is not good is when people store their DJ or computing equipment in a cold basement, but 20°C / 68°F is not cold, it is normal).

=> I have accepted your invitation on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends   so we can exchange messages in the private messaging area. Can you send me in the private messaging area the serial number of this unit (the number on the barcode sticker stick on the ground side starting with 20 or 21) as I wonder whether this issue is specific to a manufacturing lot.

Topic starter
After using the controller for a few days now the jog wheels are still tight, maximum backspin is about half a turn- this is after using the controller for a while and with effort.
I've also tried putting the controller somewhere warm (25 C plus) for a number of hours.  When I then try a back spin it takes a lot of effort to get 3/4 or maybe a bit more of a spin- definitely can't do it with one finger like the OP can, but when it's back to room temperature it goes back to being stiff again.
Not really sure what else I can do at the moment, any ideas? apart from returning it....

Hello Defeye,

Half a turn is not enough, it is defective, so I suggest
1) you contact Hercules technical support on  https://support.hercules.com/en/contact-en/
2) you let me know when you contact them and you give me your contact name on the forum private messaging area
3) and I contact the technical support to organize the exchange of DJControl Inpulse 500 Gold unit.

The fix for this issue is not known (removing/replacing grease on the jog wheel shaft) but it is not done on new controllers under warranty.

Topic starter
Just to follow up, I was not able to fix this.  Tech support was very helpful and I love Hercules.  As instructed, I left the console in the heat for 2-3 hours to melt the grease so I could redistribute it by spinning the jogwheels in various positions.  I tried this (at the hottest, Texas heat - 100F / 45C - but I tried as many variations as I could as I had a wedding to dj in Vermont) 4 or 5 times and I spun the wheels after while it was upside down, right side up, rotated several ways.  Nothing fixed it.  It did help for about 20 minutes but hte grease solidified and I was back to the start.
They did provide instructions to take it apart and repair it, but I don't trust myself to fix it, so I'm just not scratching on the right side.  I'm worried I would screw up the touch contacts and end up with only the left wheel. 
Hopefully nobody faces this.  I guess I can't return/exchange it so I'm learning to deal with it.  Love the IC500 and I am still glad I went with it over Pioneer.  Just bad luck for me.
Topic starter

Hello,

I can propose another technical process I can send via the forum private messaging system, but as the forum does not display you in the users list, I suppose in your profile the birth date states you are below 18, and then you have no access to the forum private messaging area.

Please confirm you are below 18, and if it is the case: 
- I send my suggestion of process to Hercules technical support (you sent them a message 1 week ago), 
- and then Hercules technical support forwards you my suggestion,
as this communication path complies with the security rules of the forum.

Hi, could you also send me the invite? Im trying to solve this Jogwheel problem. 

Hello,

I have sent you the invitation, please accept it on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/
& confirm in your profile your DJ controller is indeed a DJControl Inpulse 500.

Topic starter

I have accepted your invitation and set my controller to Hercules Inpulse 500

Page 1 / 3