Notifications
Clear all

hercules rmx not detected on *a certain* windows 10 laptop

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi guys, 

as many people before me, i have the problem that my hercules rmx isnt recognized by my windows 10 laptop. i know this could be the usb 3.0 issue in w8.1 and w10 and oudated firmware. however, the controller is working on another w10 laptop, which is pretty much the newer version of mine (also usb 2.0 and 3.0).

this leaves my very confused as it doesnt fit the problems i found other people having. do you have any idea why this could be?

i have tried all usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports. i repeatedly saw people advising to get a powered usb hub, but as the controller works on a very similar other machine, im hesitant to buy one if this isnt the clear issue.

my system:

lenovo ideapad u430p
i5-4210u
8gb ram
windows 10 home (x64)
version 10.0.16299

rmx information (from other laptop):

package: 1.hdjs.2018
firmware: 1.1.4.31
driver: 6.2.4.0

thank you very much in advance!

lukas

Hello,
The 3 possibilities are
1) USB speed
The firmware in your DJ Console Rmx ends with 31, not with 32, so you may meet an issue on USB 3.0 hosts (the firmware fixing the USB 3.0 issue is release 32).
As you have written you have no problem on another Windows 10 laptop, do you know if
- on this other laptop, the USB 3.0 is activated: the easiest way to know it is to connect a USB 3.0 key, if Windows tells you it can go faster, the USB 3.0 port is not operating in USB 3 speed (it can be set in the computer bios).
- on the other laptop, the USB host chipset is the same as on your lenovo U430p (I cannot find the reference of the USB chipset in the guide).
If you are at ease with it, you may 
- setup your computer bios
- and disable the USB 3 (or xHCI) to switch to USB 2, and check if it makes your Rmx detected.
If it works OK, you know you must update the firmware of your Rmx, and to do it you need a USB hub (2.0 or 3.0) powered by its dedicated power adapter, but you need it only once, when you update your Rmx (otherwise you may kill your Rmx, which can be corrected by reburning the eeprom afterwards, but it is very complicated, and more costly than a USB hub).
2) The other 2 most likely explanations may be

a) USB timing issue
USB 3 ports are less tolerant regarding USB timing than the USB 2 ports of the time Hercules released DJConsole Rmx, so to avoid USB timing issue, I suggest not using the USB cable coming with DJConsole Rmx (I think it is 1.5 or 1.8m), and using shorter 1 m USB cables, as
b) Lack of USB bus power
Then the solution is to use a USB hub powered by a power adapter
Topic starter
Hi,
I'm working with the Hercules DJ console RMX under Windows 10 since a very long time.
The only problem I've encoutered with this console is the USB cable compatibilty.
Only few USB cables are working with this console.
It seems that only USB cables with a very good shield can be used.
Resistance (conductivity) between the external metallic parts of the USB plugs needs to be very low like 0.1 Ohms.
It doesn't work for me when resistance of the shield is higher than 0.2 Ohms.
Regards,
David