issues with using h...

Notifications
Clear all

issues with using headphones on the hercules universal dj controller and traktor 2.7.1 (follow up issue)

19 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i made a topic a couple days ago ( http://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/forum/en-software/026302/) explaining an issue i was having with wanting to have sound play through laptop speakers with my hecules universal dj controller. intially i had solved the problem. but then it was suggesteted that i aggregate the audio devices to achieve what i wanted, so i tried it with no luck.

now today i go to practice a little bit and i went to cue a track and its playing through my speaker (connected via the mix out plugs in the back) and headphones at the same time. if i dont press the headphone button it plays through the speaker as it should. but if i press the headphone button it plays through the speaker and headphones at the same time. 

under the universal dj control panel i have the headphones set to channels 3-4. in traktor the output master is 1-2, and the output monitor is 3-4. i didnt hav ethis issue until today (after trying to aggregate the audio devices). i have a 2015 macbook pro with osx el capitan 10.11.1 and i have traktor scratch pro 2.7.1.

If you look at Page 6 of the Traktor confiuration document, you'll see how the 3 central buttons (SCRATCH / REC/ MAGIC) decide what is being sent to the headphone by adjusting the Monitor MIX knob in Traktor's interface:

- SCRATCH: Only the deck for which the Monitor CUE buttons are activated will be heard;

- REC: At this point, you'll hear both the main mix (what comes out of your speakers) and the deck for which the Monitor CUE buttons are activated. This is usually the position you would use to synchronize a new track to what is currently playing;

- MAGIC: In this position, only the main mix is heard in the headphone.

So depending which of this buttons you pressed will vary what you'll hear in the headphones.

Topic starter

I've tried all three modes and I can't get sound to just play through my headphones when I want it to. It's either through both, or just speakers.

Please delete the aggregate devices you've created to prevent any potential conflicts, and try again.

Topic starter

Next up I'm ready to uninstall and reinstall trakor. I'll report back with how that goes. 

EDIT: Uninstalling Traktor did nothing. This is what the audio MIDI windo wlook slike for me whenever I plug it in: 

I looked at page 14 in the manual (Monitoring a Track) and followed it with no luck. I noticed that the corssfader was moved over to the track that is playing throught the speakers, leaving the other track silent to the speakers. However before I had this issue the cross fadter position did not matter. Regardless of it's position, when I press the headphone button the track silenced on the speakers, and played through the headphones.

Is there a way to reset the firmware and drivers in the controller to bring it back to factory defaults/settings? 

I've tried many variations and could not reproduce your problem, although I'm using the most recent version of Traktor (2.10) and the El Capitan (10.11.2 - note that 10.11.3 came out yesterday...).

I hate being a pain, but can you look at the Output configuration in Traktor and make sure it is set to Internal and not External, as this could explain what you're getting.

Topic starter

No luck, It's on Internal and the monitor is channel 3-4, while the other one is channel 1-2. 

Is there a way to factory reset? 

Not sure a reset is necessary here.

With your speakers and headphone connected to the console, try the following:

- in Audio/MIDI setup, select the Universal DJ main device (the one with the USB logo)

- click Configure Speakers;

- In the new window, select Multichannel, then Quadraphonic from the drop menu;

At this point, the lower display should change to 4 speaker icons.

- Click on each speaker, which should send a white noise signal to your speakers (1&2) and your headphone (3&4). Be sure to lower the volume before proceeding.

If this works properly (and I'm expecting it will), then there is nothing wrong with the audio interface of your controller and the problem is elsewhere in the configuration.

Topic starter

It did work properly, I had the white noise play through each thing as it should have. But Traktor is still continuing with the issue.

Here are my settings for various things that may effect this:

Output routing:

Audio setup:

Controller Manager:

Univeral DJ Control panel:

Everything looks to be configured properly in Traktor. I'll try to get my hands on v2.7.1 and install it on El Capitan to see if I can reproduce it this way as this is the only major difference between our setup.

Topic starter

Thanks, I'll check back in a few days to see if you came up with anything.

Topic starter

DJ Phatso, have you found anything yet?

No luck yet in reproducing the problem. It always works for me...

Since the problem started after Maxdjack suggestion with the aggregate device, I've focused a lot of time on this aspect, hoping that could have recreated the same behaviour, but this does not seem to happen.

Topic starter

Is there a way to reset the controller? I feel like we've exhausted all other options.

Don't think it will change anything, but give it a shot anyway.

Press and hold Load deck A and Load deck B while connecting the USB cable to the controller. Keep the buttons pressed until the Firmware updater appears on screen then follow the instructions.

Topic starter

Unfortunatley the reste did not work, I did however get a video fo my issue, maybe there's a flaw in my set up with the hardware? I don't know anymore, I've already posted everything up with my software: 

Hello,

I might be getting old, but I don't see what's wrong in your video:

• when you enable headphone preview on Deck B, your crossfader is centered, so it is perfectly normal for both songs to play on your speakers and Deck B on your headphones;
  • when lower the volume on Deck A, only Deck B plays on both;
  • when you set the crossfader to Deck A, only Deck B plays on your headphones;

Topic starter

So you're telling me that's how it's supposed to behave? I was under the impession that when you pressed the headphone button it would play sound throught only the headphones, and I'm pretty sure it was doing that when I first set up the controller before I tried to aggregate it.

Hello,

I don't know if you are good with plumbing, but think of the fact that you can use the hot water in the kitchen and in the bathroom at the same time: they are two independant "outputs". In the same way:

- the crossfader, in the middle position, is sending both songs to the MAIN output (the kitchen);

- meanwhile, the headphone buttons dictate what is being sent to the heaphone output (the bathroom), which is independant of the Main output. If both buttons are active, you will hear both songs in your heaphones as well.

Now, a standard transition would go someting like this:

- While a song is playing on Deck A (Crossfader to the Left), you prepare the next one on Deck B in your headphone;

- When ready to proceed, you would gradually move the crossfader to the right while listening to Deck B in your heaphone to adjust any settings if necessary.

- Reaching mid-point of the crossfader, you would effectively hear Deck B in both your speakers and headphone, which as you can now understand makes perfect sense.

- Once you've completed the transition over to Deck B, you would start the same process in reverse with Deck A.

Topic starter

If Issue is resolved kindly share here 

Page 1 / 2