can i connect my co...

Notifications
Clear all

can i connect my controller to a ipad by usb?

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

if you want to connect you controller to a ipad using wire connection you need to use a usb adaptor ( camera kit ).
but sometimes its not enought because the ipad do not provide enough power to the controller.

for example, its possible to connect the djcontrol compact to the ipad directly using the camera kit adaptor.
for the hercules universal its not possible to connect it this way even if both devices are usb audio class compliant.
for the hercules universal, you need to use a usb power hub between the ipad and the controller. by the way, note that this connection is not officially supported for the hercules universal as the recommended connection is bluetooth using djuced app.

app -> connection -> controller

djuced app -> bluetooth -> hercules universal
djuced app -> usb -> djcontrol instinct for ipad
djuced app -> usb -> djcontrol air for ipad
djuced djw -> bluetooth -> djcontrol wave

Topic starter

I just bought the hercules universal and djuced app wont recognize it unless i make the connection in tablet mode by bluetooth. A major selling point for me because i didnt now about the latency. I use to work with midi bluetooth le connections without latency but i guess this is not the protocol the universal uses. Why the djuced app shows in the preferences unknown console if i connect the universal directly by usb? I kneed to use the official app of this hardware without latency. Thanks...

Hello Zoso-JC,
Please precise what your tablet is.
DJUCED App iPad uses Bluetooth LE.
Topic starter

I think the name of the protocol is ble midi. I use a puc+ bluetooth usb midi interface that powers the controller and converts to bluetooth the midi coming from the usb of the controllers with no latency but the dj apps wont recognize the universal dj throug the puc+ though i can read the incoming midi from the universal with a midi monitor. Anyway... the tablet is an ipad mini2. Connecting the universal dj to the ipad directly by usb wont make the app to recognize the universal...

Topic starter

The kind of bluetooth midi protocol i expected was ble midi and is compatible with lots of apps. Djuced app is the only app that reads the incoming midi from bluetooth mode tablet in the universal dj. It would be nice an option to make a passthrough of the bluetooth midi from the universal to all other apps in ios. The puc+ uses an app for that purpose in the case the app you want to use is not ble midi compatible

Hello,
Universal DJ sends Bluetooth LE commands to the iPad but it is not the BLE  MIDI protocol as Universal DJ was released before the release of Bluetooth LE MIDI in iOS.
Topic starter

I assumed that because of the latency and the fact android tablets doesnt support that protocol...
is there a way i can make djuced app recognize the universal with cable connection? Or maybe you can help me to understand why djuced and other apps dont recognize the universal if it’s connected through the puc+ bluetooth midi interface. Maybe i need to use a midi port with a specific name? All other controllers are readable in music apps through this latency free bluetooth interface. I managed to connect the universal to djay with usb connection. But i dont know how to reconfigure the sensibility of the jog wheels and the scratch is too fast. In djuced sounds slower and nicer but i cant work with 3 cue points only. So far i havnt been able to make the universal fully compatible in ios (without latency) using any of the apps in the store...

Topic starter

Hello,

I can give you a trick make it work Cool

You need to add a midi mapping through iTunes file sharing to support a new controller:
1. Open iTunes (with your iPad connected)
2. Click on the iPad icon to display iPad content
3. Select "File Sharing"
4. Into "Apps", select DJUCED App
5. Into "Documents", add the new mapping file.

And the Hercules Universal DJ mapping for USB:  https://we.tl/t-WhcZtJFaLg

Topic starter

Hi stephbel! Thank you so much for your reply! But i havnt seen it till today. I dont receive any mail or notification from this forum and i was checking when i found your mapping and its been already deleted. In a couple of days i will be home and ill test your mapping if you read this and you are so kind to repeat the upload... maybe you can tell me where did you find the mapping. I didnt find any searching the web...

Topic starter

https://we.tl/t-zwWdFNz7PW Cool

Topic starter
Thanks you so much!
This seems to work flawlessly with djuced app.
I don’t know where did you find this mapping but its a big deal  being able to use the universal with djuced app via usb cable without the bluetooth latency. You’ve just helped me a lot...
i wish this app allowed more than 3 cue points to work with... if you are ok with sharing this mapping for a longer time with the community ive uploaded it in my google drive:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G8416NUUZTo9RNPQZLJAewWY4XIKmO5G
Topic starter

Yes, it's OK for me, you can share it.