Clear all

hercules dj console rmx not working with a new macbook air

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi,

i bought a new macbook air yesterday.
till today my hercules dj console worked perfect with my last macbook pro.
i downloaded the latest drivers for my macbook air that (says) it fixed the issue with the usb 3.0 connectivity and it does not work again.
i tried the method with the mic button pressed and still nothing.
no connectivity and the led buttons keeps on and off continusly.
also i want to say something, while testing cables, i found a very small usb cable about 60cm long and suddenly it worked just fine. but with my other usb cable it does not work. i do not want to use a usb hub to fix this problem, it is not right, it should work with the macbook air correctly without any usb hubs. 

please help.

Glad to know you got your device recognized with a shorter cable. This is an important information that can be userful to other users.

In theory, a USB port should indeed be able to use any USB devices connected to it. However, not all products are created equal and sometimes rules are bent by manufacturer to accomodate certain features.

Case in point, the Macbook AIR, which was designed to be portable and using very little power. Using a USB mouse or a keyboard will not be a problem, but the ports may not be provide sufficiente power for hungry devices like audio interfaces. If this is the case, using a powered hub will allow this stability and consistant power to the device. 

Hello,

I think you meet an issue caused by a too weak power on the USB bus of your Macbook, it is probably not related to USB 3.

On new Macbooks, the connection of the first USB bus powered device needing close to 5v/0.5A cause errors because the Mac delivers less power on the USB port than needed.
A solution is generally to connect once the USB powered device (DJ Console Rmx for example) to the Mac via a USB hub which has a power adapter, make it detected, repeat the operation on each USB port of the Macbook, and afterwards it is likely that the DJ Console Rmx will be detected without needing the USB hub.

It has worked on the 2 Macbooks I have had, one being an i5 Macbook Air.

USB power issues are well known on new Macbooks or after an SMC update.

Topic starter

Hey guys, i went back to the store, and gave back the macbook air and replaced it with macbook pro retina. i5 8gb ram. Setup everything ok but still have the same problem! SO the problem was not the macbook air? Is there any problem with the yosemite? 

I vee downloaded the latest drivers from hercules website that are for yosemite. Everything works only with the small usb cable.  

Topic starter

Actually, the problem is related with USB 3.0, most certainly. Hercules RMX does not work with USB 3.0 neither in Mac or PC. In PC you can disable the USB3.0. In Mac the easiest way is to have a USB hub (2.0) that will force the computer to recognize the controler. So basicaly the powered USB hub would work it out, not for the power, but because the hub would be a USB 2.0 device. I hope this helps. 

Topic starter

Hello,

1) In Windows, Hercules Rmx fully works on USB 3.0  but you have to update the Rmx firmware (with firmware release 32) before connecting Rmx to a USB 3.0 port in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
All Hercules DJ Console driver packages of 2014 and 2015 have updated this firmware, including the last driver package 2015_HDJS_6.

2) On Mac OS 10.11.X, if you have a USB 3.0 port, you need a short USB 2.0 cable USB A to USB B, as 3-feet/0.9m cable
Belkin USB 2.0 0.9m in Amazon
Pearstone USB 2.0 cable on B&H
Startech 3-feet USB cable
BlackBox 3-feet USB 2.0 cable