screen resolution

Notifications
Clear all

screen resolution

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey  i have a problem now with a 14" laptop because my screen resolution is lower than the software,  i dont know what that is?
someone is offering me a  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023446/surface-pro-4-features surface pro 4, it has a smaller screen but more resolution,  possibly this will work for dj gigs  until i get a 15" that it can support  can someone help me reference the requirements, thanks

au
Topic starter

Hello,

What's the exact resolution you are using at the moment? Also, have you checked if your scale and layout setting is above 100% in Windows 10 Settings -> System -> Display?

(My personal experience is that Djuced works perfectly with a 1920x1080 resolution display, however I prefer 2560x1440, since the library part is bigger with that. But again, a full HD display is absolutely fine and usable.)

Hello Sirrix,

It may help if you complete your profile, in My Space > My Profile, in checking
- the DJ controller in "Hercules Equipment in use": Universal DJ
- the software, in "DJ Software in use": Djuced
and in writing the computer basic information in "Describe your equipment"
- Windows version
- computer brand and model,
- CPU,
- RAM,
- display resolution
- type of USB connection
so that the controller and software icons are displayed in the discussion, and clicking on your name lets one reads your equipment to propose an answer to your question.

With Universal DJ controller + Djuced on a 1366x768 display, your display size is limited display but to display the mixer, the FX and 2 decks, the "2Decks vertical" theme is not bad.

Surface Pro 4 resolution is OK (2736 x 1824) but 12"3 it is a small screen, so it requires good eyes to use it in high resolution. I have access to a 13" PC whose resolution goes up to 1080p (1920x1080) and I find the display a bit small in 1080p.

Surface Pro 4 computers can be used for DJing but they are not perfect for DJing as:
- when waveform move on the screen, Surface Pro 4 cooling fans get noisy: it is not a problem in a party, but it is not pleasant at home,
- Surface Pro 4 storage capacity is often small, which is not nice if you have a large audio library,
- They are expensive,
- Surface Pro 4 has only 1 USB port, so to use use it in a party, you need Microsoft Surface Dock, to connect the power, the USB controller, a USB SSD disk, possibly the network, and get a stable station. The bonus of the dock is that you can connect a large display.

Make sure one does not propose an ARM-CPUed Surface version, as it works in no DJ software.
- Regular Microsoft Surface Pro are useable in DJing as they have Intel CPUs (i5, i7),
- Microsoft Surface Book 1, 2, 3 are useable in DJing as they have Intel CPUs
- Microsoft Surface Laptops are useable in DJing as they have Intel or AMD (Ryzen) CPUs
- Surface Studio are good for Djing as they use Intel CPUs,
- but Microsoft Surface Pro X and Microsoft Surface without Pro in the name have ARM CPUs which are currently not able to use x86 64-bit programs as Djuced, VirtualDJ, Serato, Traktor, Djay, Rekordbox.

Topic starter

May I add to this my thoughts?
One of the issues with Intel model numbering in the recent years is that they tend to keep using i3-i5-i7 even for those CPU-s, where the model number ends with a "U". That stands for ultra low voltage, which means it sacrifices performance for better battery life. It can boost up to quite high speeds, but usually that doesn't last very long and then it start dialling back the speed to its nominal which is relatively low. The UX Team may correct me, but DJing requires high speed CPU (not necessary one with many cores - that could be useful when analysing large amount of songs, though) and SSD for the system drive and also for storing your music. If you are looking for a lightweight laptop with enough CPU power for DJ-in, I could recommend the Asus Zephyrus G14, since it has a top-end AMD processor (that's one of the best laptops I've ever reviewed).

Topic starter
I add myself to the conversation to ask if at least it is possible to change the fonts in DJuced, in fact with 22 "monitors and 1920X1080 resolution the font are too large and take up space.
Also, for someone like me who has a laptop and a second monitor, it would be very useful if the DJuced software could be managed by two monitors. This way one works with tracks and the other is used only as a resource explorer for the file library.
Topic starter

Thanks,  I will give it a try before I purchase the surface pro,  I can get a good deal on it.  and that is cheaper than a good 15" that supports the reso,  

Topic starter

"I add myself to the conversation to ask if at least it is possible to change the fonts in DJuced, in fact with 22 "monitors and 1920X1080 resolution the font are too large and take up space."

On top of the library section to the right next to the search field there are two buttons labeled as + and -: those adjust the size of the text. Hope this helps.

Topic starter
great Sityi ...
I'll try tonight
Thanks so much.{#emotions_dlg.wink}
Topic starter

Regarding the multimonitor support:
As far as I know no DJ software support this feature - but I can be easily wrong. My best guess the reasons behind this are:
- A club setup involves only one laptop with its own screen. Space is scarse, so it's highly unlikely anyone would utilise more than one screen.
- As a DJ you need to connect with the dancefloor, not your eqipment. Multiple screens would draw your attention more and you end up looking like doing office work rather than being a DJ. The DJ controller is your main interface, not your laptop screen. Wink (Optimally one would only use the laptop screen to check what song to load - the rest is done by ear and with the actual controller)
- From a programming perspective it's not that obvious and/or easy to redesign a user interface to support multimonitor setups. Even if we put aside the technnicalities, how would you expand the mixer and waveform view to a full screen? I mean, would a double height waveform display bring any benefit - or would usability suffer? How should the mixer knobs, buttons, faders, etc. rearranged to utilise the gained space efficiently?
While I totally understand bedroom DJs could utilise such a feature, even among them it's quite rare to have more than one monitor, so the developer could say economically it would not worth developing this feature for such a small minority.
But that's just my opinion on the matter, so I can be easly wrong.

Topic starter
hello Sityi,
your interventions are always very "logical" and I certainly cannot contradict you.
The basic problem is that at my age the view is no longer what it once was, with a 15 "monitor I see little and the division of the software areas seems to me to leave little space for the explorer section for song selection.
If I increase the size of the font I see fewer files, on the contrary I cannot read well.
True, a DJ with two monitors would be too distracted and looks like an office employee 🙂 but a DJ who wears reading glasses and approaches the monitor to read well doesn't look good too 🙂
Mine was a question about the possibility of sending on the smaller screen only the wave bars, which I prefer to have horizontal, send everything else to a second monitor or, alternatively, to a monitor only explorer resources and all the rest on the other.
But I realize that this would be a personal need of mine, and because I do it at home to have fun, where no one is watching me, I preferred to add a second monitor to work in visual comfort 🙂
Thanks again ...
Topic starter

Hi Ninosan,

Believe or not, I wear glasses for decades now, so totally understand your situation. It's totally fine how you set up your environment - all I said was I don't think it could be done or worth being done. My Djing PC is a desktop one with a 24" 1440p display, so I'm fine with that - but from time to time I review latops as well and I see the issue. At the moment I have a Dell G5 5500 here for about a week and I checked what could be done to improve the visuals.
- If you use Djuced in full screen you can get about 2-3 extra lines
- If you set the Scale and layout in Windows 10 display properties to 100%, Djuced can resize the text with the + and - buttons in smaller, finer steps. I know this setting affects everything in Windows, but I think worth checking
- Since you are using an external monitor, you can just set the display mode to extended and drag Djuced window there. I guess the external monitor is not just bigger, but have a better resolution

Topic starter

I have as a second monitor, a 21.5 "touch, set as a duplicate. I paid for it less than € 200 but it has a resolution of 1980x1080, it is not very high but I did not want to spend a lot to understand how much this hobby takes me.