rmx firmware/audio ...

Notifications
Clear all

rmx firmware/audio update error 3a

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i have checked tons of previous threads and while there are good solutions that brought me really close to a solution to my problem, i am still encountering some issues that perhaps are just hard to solve easily.

also, i realise this might be a bit of a niche question nowadays so whilst i do not expect a quick and easy solution, any help will be deeply appreciated.

here is the situation:
i have two rmx which are around 10 years old. one works fine, the other one does not. whilst i am considering purchasing a far better and more modern equipment soon, i really miss being able to use these two rmx together as i have always loved them.
first rmx has never been touched when it comes to audio/controller firmware. i still use it with an old macbook with usb 2.0 and it is just fine.

the problem is with the second rmx. some years ago i tried to use it under a modern macbook (usb 3.0) and i think i messed it up. i tried back then to do the firmware update but it did not work properly and only then i learned about the usb timing issues and the need to use a powered usb hub to help. since then, the rmx has been almost bricked always with blinking lights and is only detected in boot mode.

i recently got back again to this issue and purchased a powered usb hub to help. my aim is to make this rmx come back to life, ideally to be able to use it with a usb 3.0 computer (with the powered usb hub). in order to achieve that i need to fix the firmware first.

i first tried to use the manual audio firmware update procedure with a newer laptop (usb 3.0) and the powered usb hub. under boot mode it seemed to work fine (although no controller detected: 0), but when it comes to the step of unplugging and replugging, the rmx is never detected again unless i put it in boot mode once again, which restarts the process. in the automatic firmware updater, i get the following error code after waiting for over a minute after replugging: code 3a.

i have also been trying to use both the manual and automatic updaters in an older laptop (usb 2.0) and i get the same results. only detected in boot mode, no controller version detected, no possibility to update audio further to the unplugging-replugging step. therefore, the usb timing seems not to be the issue here.

therefore i have both the old and the new systems to try and fix this rmx. perhaps a factory reset guide could help, but i have not found any online and in previous threads it was only shared via dm. i have also read some hardware issues (eeprom) but not sure if this is the only feasible solution in my case. anything that could avoid the eeprom procedure whilst being able to fix/update the controller version would be amazing.

thank you so much in advance to any guidance or help.

if the only solution is an eeprom reprogramming, it will just be worth to purchase new equipment i think, but this is still worth a try to bring back to life this marvelous rmx!

Hello Alberto,

Welcome to the forum.

1) My suggestion would be to find a Windows PC and try the firmware update (via a USB hub, powered by a power adapter) on the PC. In general, firmware updates are OK on macOS, but for DJ Console Rmx, 4-Mx, DeeJay Trim, I find the firmware update process more stable on Windows.

2) Eeprom programming is not difficult, but learning the CH341A software to program eeprom alone is not so easy: once someone has shown you how to do, it is easy, but not knowing whether it has worked or not when you program the eeprom is a pain. If the CH341 software could offer more guidance, and tell you clearly whether the programming has worked or not, programming the eeprom would be much easier.

3) Can you print a screenshot of the firmware updater error message as I do not know the error code 3a, so seeing the exact, complete and precise error message would help to know what it means. In general, when you get an error message, it is helpful to write the entire error message, including the title over the window displaying the error message, as the title of the window may tell which program sends the error message.

Topic starter

Thank you for the detailed indications.

1) I have tried with a windows and powered USB hub. Sadly, it's a Windows 10 and in this case I cannot even get the device properly recognised even in boot mode for the manual updater. The manual updater stays grey without recognising the device. When recognised by the PC, the device is listed under 'other devices' in the device manager, and not even under USB controllers section.

2) Actually since I wrote the original post I realised a friend of mine has experience with eeprom programming so we could do it together. Therefore, I could try the eeprom burning if you could kindly send me the firmware file.

3) Here the screenshot. I apologise that is is in Spanish, but actually the error line you can read in English:  https://imgur.com/a/LS7aDbP
edit: this error only appears in the automatic updater on Mac (both on the older with USB 2.0 and the same on newer with USB 3.0), and just after re-connecting the RMX when it asks you to do so. In the manual updater it does not even recognise it after re-plugging, and it can only recognise it in boot mode, which starts the process again. I therefore cannot get past the point of re-connecting the RMX after installing the audio firmware update.

I totally suspect that some years ago when I tried to do the firmware update I messed up and I need to reprogram the eeprom. My goal, if I do try the eeprom solution, is to make sure that the RMX can be used with USB 3.0

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for your message and your screenshot.
I have sent you an invitation here, please accept it so that I can send you on the private messaging area the eeprom file.

Topic starter

Thank you so much, I just accepted the invitation.

Hello,

I have sent you the file in the private messaging area.