powerflow problem o...

Notifications
Clear all

powerflow problem on instint s? help!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i recently bought my girlfriend an instinct s series controller for use with her mac but we cant get wired speakers to work with it.

when we wire our mains speakers into either the 1/8 speaker socket or the split rcas on the back of the controller, all the lights on the controller die as if its been shorted, then we have to unplug speakers and usb then reinsert them and the same thing happens. i have tried two different sets of speakers and numerous wires but the same thing happens. as soon as a wire goes in either of the speaker sockets on the rear of the controller, all the lights on the controller go out and we get no sound. the speakers work fine with other equipment. ive tried m audio av30 speakers and harman kardon soundstick 3s and both have same problem whatever wires i use.

edit: powerflow problem? we managed to get her jbl flip speaker to work whilst wired into the back of the console. now that speaker runs off its own charge, but the other 2 wired speaker sets i mentioned above, still seem to turn all the consoles lights out as soon as they are plugged into the back and both those speaker sets are powered through plugs in a mains extension, yet the jbl flip just runs on its own charge and works fine. so it seems like electric current running through my extension may be the issue but i have no idea why..

edit 2: so i tried the wired speaker setup in a different room through different plug sockets and the console is still having some kind of power short.  its definitely not my extension lead overpowering. weirdly, i noticed if my mac charger is not powering into the laptop then the hercules stays powered up and plays through the wired speaker sets with no problems (hooray!) but then as soon as the mac has its charger plugged in, the console lights all go out and sound stops. (boo!) so its like i cant have the mac charging up whilst mains powered speakers are feeding into the console, if only one thing at a time is powered and running, the console stays lit. why the powerflow issue? 

Hello Sean,

Happy New Year.

It looks like a difference of electric power potential between your Mac USB port and your speakers.

1) Can you check if your speakers and your Mac are powered on the same multiple plug power outlet?
2) If your Mac has several USB ports, can you check you get the same result whatever the USB port?
2) Can you find a USB hub powered by a power adapter, and check if you still duplicate this issue once connecting USB hub and its power adapter between the Mac and your DJControl Instinct?

Topic starter

Hi Maxdjack,

I have since tried the speakers and mac charger to run in separate plug sockets on another wall but the same issue occurs
I have also tried both usb ports on the side of the macbook to no avail
I dont have a usb powerhub but will try to obtain one, after that I feel like all I can do is send the controller back to amazon 

Hello Sean,

1) Can you check if your speakers and your Mac are powered on the same multiple plug power outlet?
I understand you did the opposite but my request is to try to power both on the same power outlet.

2) What are the type and model of the Mac?
I mean info as Macbook Air 11" MID 2011, Model A1370 - EMC 2471.
You get the first info (type, year), in running the Mac, clicking on Apple > About this Mac.
The last info (Model, EMC) is printed on the ground panel of the MacBook.

3) For the USB hub, it is necessary that it is powered by a power adapter.
If you use a Mac with USB 3.0 ports in Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan), it is really better to get a USB 2.0 hub, since El Capitan has a limited compatibility with USB audio class compliant devices on USB 3.0 ports (read here, or here or here) , so whatever the USB audio device you may use, a powered USB 2.0 hub is a security to protect your USB audio devices from the shortcomings of Mac OS 10.11 USB 3.0 layer.