4mx installation pr...

Notifications
Clear all

4mx installation problems.....help please

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

had my 4mx previously installed on an old laptop running windows vista. ....the laptop gave up its life so now trying to use a dell dimension desktop tower running on vista. however....upon installation when prompted to connect hercules products for detection i get a message afterwards saying the usb device has not been recognised. the system should be more than powerful enough to run the unit and software....2.5 g processor....4gb ram....250gb hard drive.....nothing else on the system other than windows itself. i have updated virtual dj to the latest version and updated to the latest firmware....have downloaded the latest install info from hercules for the 4mx and nothing seems to work. the unit has been used for a total of around 50 hours maximum over the past year....am wanting to start using it on a regular basis now and am getting to the point of throwing the thing out of the window due to frustration of how to get it to work. i just dont understand why it worked fine on a crappy old slow laptop but wont work on this faster pc. any help will be gratefully appreciated as i simply cant afford to buy a new controller when this one should be working fine and perfectly up to what i want to use it for.

Hello Nick,

1) You should connect a USB hub which has its own power supply between your computer and your DJ Console 4-Mx.
I think your problem may be just a too limited power supply on the USB bus, so I suggest you don't retry flashing the firmware of your DJ Console 4-Mx without adding this warranty of stable USB bus power, a USB hub with a power adapter, and then, once you have this stable power for the USB bus, you can run the firmware installer.
If it has failed once, you probably have not enough USB bus power on your new computer to update the firmware, so each time you run the firmware updater, you may break your DJ Console 4-Mx forever, so don't run again the firmware updater until you have a stable power supply on the USB, which is a USB hub with a power adapter.

2) Please complete your profile here as getting the forum is more efficient for a technical question if you describe your computer technical configuration, so in "Describe your equipment" field, please precise
- your computer brand and model, CPU, RAM,
- operating system (for example is it WindowVista 32-bit or 64-bit, and which service pack),
- precise your DJConsole driver package (last driver does not mean much, as each driver package was the last at one moment, while driver package 2015_HDJS_4 has a precise meaning), and your release of your DJ software, (for example VirtualDJ 7.4 LE or VirtualDJ 8.0.0 Pro).

I understand you provide some technical information in your message, but reading your full message could be easier with
- some line breaks (carriage returns),
- less (or not any) ellipses (4 suspension points).
So organizing the technical information in your profile, it 1 area of your profile, would make it easy to find it.

PS: I used to try a Dell Dimension Desktop with a 2.5 Ghz Core Duo with 4 GB of RAM, and it was a slow computer because of a bad motherboard and a too small access to memory, no separate graphic card (I had benchmarked it with a 2.1 GHz Core Duo computer which had a good motherboard and a separate graphic card, and the Dell Dimension was outperformed by a ratio of 1 to 3 in tasks as photo editing, video rendering). If you have the same computer, and Windows Vista, the slowest Windows released, it is a slow computer, so I don't mean your computer configuration is too limited fot DJing, but if you have the opportunity to move to another Windows (7, 8, 10), I think it would make this computer nicer to use.