microphone too loud...

Notifications
Clear all

microphone too loud!!!!

34 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i have recently purchased the rmx2. i have virtual dj 8. i plug in my shure mic using a xlr cable and the volume is all the way down but still very loud!! i have tried a number of settings with the rmx2 and vdj8 with no luck, its still so loud u can hear the hiss. any help would be great. thank you. 

Hello,

1) Please precise
- your model of Shure microphone,
- your detailed audio settings in VirtualDJ 8,
- if you use your microphone to talk over the music or if you want to record it,
- complete your profile here:
  - Hercules equipment in use: check DJConsole Rmx2 in the list
  - Software in use: check VirtualDJ
  - Describe your equipment: precise your computer brand and model, CPU, RAM, operating system (for example is it Windows 8.1 32-bit or 64-bit), and precise your DJConsole driver package

2) Have you tried, without going through VirtualDJ, if the microphone volume is still too loud when you close VirtualDJ, you switch on the Mic On/Off button and you talk in your microphone?

3) Next time, as title for your discussion,
- try to include the name of the controller, "DJConsole Rmx2: microphone input too loud" is a more precise title
- avoid typing !!! Shouting is not the best way to get help on a forum. One needs to be calm to understand and solve a technical problem, so if you shout, you lose your time.

Topic starter

Mic is shure pg58, I use the mic to talk over not to record. Pc is a toshiba laptop satellite c55d-b with windows 8.1. 64 bit. 4 gb ram. Audio settings in vdj are output speaker+headphone, card Hercules dj console rmx2, input nothing. Also when vdj 8 is not up the mic is still very hot. 

Is your Shure PG58 the Wired or the Wireless version?

If it is the wireless version,
- what is your receiver model,
- on which output do you connect the XLR cable?

Most wireless receivers have
- either an output level which can be set in line level or in mic level,
- or an output level which can be adjusted with a gain button to reach the line level at the maximum,
and if the receiver output is set in line level, it is logical it is too loud for a microphone input as it is a line setting.

Topic starter

it is wired. xlr male to female. also i can remove the xlr from the mic input and turn on the mic button on the rmx2 and it still has a loud hiss. this happens when i have virtual dj up and when it is not up.  

a) Have you another microphone to test on DJConsole Rmx2 microphone input?
Have you an XLR to 1/4" cable to test PG-58 microphone on DJConsole Rmx2 microphone input?
Have you tested this PG-58 on microphone input?

b) It is logical you get a hiss when adding gain over the microphone empty connector, so getting a hiss if switch the Mic button On, turn the microphone knob over 50%  and connect no microphone is normal.

Topic starter

a) i get a hiss when i turn on the mic button on the board with the mic volume on the console turned all the way down.
b) i have tested a 2nd shure microphone with the same results.
c) i am using only the mic input on top of the board, not the rca jacks on the back. 
d) where would I put a 1/4" jack on the board?

Please verify the position of the Input switches on the back of the Rmx2 (Line In/Phono)?

Try changing the input type and see if it makes a difference with the hiss problem.

Topic starter

i will check the line in/phone switch.
also, i am not using any of those inputs.

Topic starter

I changed the line in/phono back and forth. Did not make any difference in the hiss. Is there something in virtual DJ 8 I need to check?

1) You can insert the 1/4" jack connector in the microphone input plug: it is a XLR combo jack, the central hole is made for it.

2) Forgive me if my question is trivial, but are you sure what you hear is not simply a larsen: are you sure your microphone is not directed toward speakers, resulting in a hiss because that is the normal way for microphones to react?

Topic starter

Well the hiss is there when no mic is attached. As soon as I turn on the mic button it is there. That's with the volume all the way down. If i turn up the volume it gets louder. Again with no mic or cable attached. Is there some drivers I'm missing?

Hello,

It is logical you get a hiss when the microphone input in activated with no microphone connected, but it is not logical you hear the hiss when the microphone volume knob is set to zero.

1)  Can you confirm you get this hiss noise with the microphone volume knob of Rmx2 set to zero without running VirtualDJ?
(VirtualDJ 7 and 8 create noise when enabling audio inputs (microphone or line or phono) with silent sources, as the software adds a continuous gain to try to detect a beat and calculate the BPM of the input source).

2) Please confirm you have also tried with a microphone connected to a cable ending with a 1/4" connector.
I have already seen mistables in the routing of XLR cables, but I have never seen badly routed 1/4" jak cables, so I want to make sure your XLR cable is not causing any issue in testing also on 1/4" connector.

Topic starter

The hiss is there when vdj is not up and stays there when I launch vdj. I have both vdj 7 and 8 and it does it on both versions. I also installed djuced that came with the mixer with the same result. I did use a 1/4 jack with a mic with the same result. The hiss is there because the gain seems to turned all the way up even when it's all the way down. 

Hello,

I am sorry to insist and repeat the same question, but if I don't get the answer to my complete question, I cannot imagine what you hear since I don't see your computer and what you do.

Can you confirm you hear this hiss noise with the microphone volume knob of Rmx2 set to zero without running VirtualDJ?
You answer "The hiss is there because the gain seems to turned all the way up even when it's all the way down. " but I don't know what you call the gain (is it the button labelled Gain, the Main volume button, a software button or fader).

Topic starter

I do hear the hiss noise with the microphone volume knob of the rmx2 mixer set to zero.

Topic starter

I have the same problem
Even without using VDJ8, just plug in the Rmx2 console and push the "Mic On/off" button and I immediately hear a very strong "shhh" noise. If I plug the mic in and turn it on the volume is way too high.
I have tried Konig mic, xlr cable, standard 1/4 cable, another AKG mic (both mics are working perfectly elsewhere), but no change.
I am using Mac Yosemite

Topic starter

Any thoughts max?

Hello Denny,

I have read your message and I have no answer for the moment. I don't understand why you get this noise in talk-over mode with the microphone plugged when there is no gain set (with the microphone volume knob set on minimum - fully on left).

I didn't answer to Gughi as I don't want to mix technical explanations: it may be the same issue as yours or a completely different one, but as long as I have no clue of why you get this issue, I prefer to avoid adding another case in the same discussion, as it would be confusing. As I am not a moderator or administrator on the forum, I cannot split the discussion in 2 to answer to Gughi in another discussion, which would be safer. I don't mean Gughi was wrong to post a message here, but just, as long as your issue is not identified, it is safer to separate an issue with no explanation from other issues.

=> Moderator, can you split the discussion wit Gughi message on another discussion?

Hello Denny,

Can you confirm you still get the noise with the microphone volume set to zero when the input 1-2 source is set on
"Line (+6dBu)" in DJConsole Rmx2 control panel?

Topic starter

Yes. I have changed it to microphone and back to line +6. Still the same problem. 

Hello Denny,

A)  Can you check in the About tab of the DJConsole Rmx2 control panel and confirm if
1 - you use last driver package (2014_HDJS_1)
2 - your firmware version is 1.22 - 19?

B) Please confirm you hear the hiss noise is continuous
- hearing a noise à the moment you switch on the microphone with the Mic On/Off button on the Rmx2 is normal,
- what is not normal is that the hiss keeps on continuously after the switch On operation, while the microphone volume is set to zero with Rmx2 volume knob.

C) Have you this hiss symptom continuously or does it happen sometimes and not happen other times?

D) If you have another computer, can you test if you hear the hiss also on the Rmx2 connected to this other computer?

Topic starter

A. Those are the driver/firmware packages I have
b. The hiss is continuous
c. This happens continuously, never stops.
d. I have no other computer. 

Hello Denny,

1) Please check if powering the laptop just on its battery (removing the computer power cable) suppresses or decreases the his or not.

2) Does the hiss change when you move the microphone cable?

Topic starter

1. I checked the hiss using the battery and ac power, same result. Hiss. Does not change in volume.

2. Stays the same volume when I remove the cable or try a different cable or move the cable. 

Hello Denny,

1) If you have the plug for it, can you check if you have the same hiss or no when you connect your microphone on the microphone input of your computer?

2) If you have a multi-meter, can you check on your XLR to XLR cable and make sure, that the pin-out on both size is as follows?

Topic starter

1. I have another mixer and the mic/cable works fine with it. I don't have the plug for my computer. 

2. The xlr cable has the same pin as those you have pictured.

Hello Denny,

1) My question regarding the XLR cable was not whether the pin out was apparently the same (it is the XLR standard) but whether you have tested with a multimeter whether when you connect
- pin 1 on on 1 connector, you detect the signal only on pin 1 on the other connector (no signal on pin 2 and 3)
- pin 2 on on 1 connector, you detect the signal only on pin 2 on the other connector (no signal on pin 1 and 3)
- pin 3 on on 1 connector, you detect the signal only on pin 3 on the other connector (no signal on pin 1 and 1)
as some XLR cables connect the ground (pin 1) to the cold (pin 3) - it makes an non balanced XLR, but it still works -, and I have also seen mistakes in wiring.

2) As the microphone on DJConsole Rmx2 goes to an ADC (analog to digital converter), it behaves differently from a connection to an analogue equipment (analogue mixer for example). So a microphone may behave well on an analogue device and not well on a device with an ADC, and vice versa. That is why, since the start of this discussion, I try to get information on the microphone + microphone cable.

3) I have sent you an invitation here , please accept it so that we can exchange emails out of the forum.

Topic starter

I have accepted your invite and will email you....Denny

Topic starter

I am having the exact same problem. Mic way too loud when plugged into the RMX2. Also, without mic plugged in, but mic on/off button pressed - a great hiss can be heard. Using a Shure PG48 mic, with Virtual DJ 8, but VDJ does not have to be running for this problem to occur. Was there a solution?

Hello,

1) As already mentionned, it is 100% normal to hear hiss when activating the Mic On/Off button on the DJConsole without connecting any microphone, that is the reason why there is a Mic On/Off button (it switches on/off the microphone preamplifier): the microphone input is wired to a preamplifier wired directly to an Analog-To-Digital converter input, so if you set a strong preamplifier on an empty connector and if this preamplifier is wired on a ADC, it causes a hiss.

2) Please precise if
- you use an XLR or a 1/4" jack cable,
- when you remove the cable from the microphone, you see both the pins labelled 1, 2 and 3 and a Shure embossed logo in the back panel of the microphone.

Topic starter

I have tried both XLR and 1/4 jack.
The pins are labelled 123 as per the diagram
The mic has the embossed logo on it.

Topic starter

Managed to test some other mics and cables. Tried the Shure SM58 which has a lower impedence than the Shure PG48. It made a difference, but it was still too loud. Tried it with a mono cable and that seemed to have a very good effect of bringing the volume right down to an acceptable level. Trouble is, any movement of the cable at the connection to the RMX2 resulted in loud crackles and pops. I am in no doubt that the Hercules RMX2 (having now tried 2 units) has a flaw with its microphone set up/connection/wiring.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who uses a mic with Hercules RMX2, because at this rate Im likely to have to get a completely different controller.

Hello,

1) I have the Shure SM58 and it works perfectly on my DJConsole Rmx2, the volume is not too loud, I use it to animate parties and for Karaoke.
I always use it with a balanced XLR cable.
I have used my Rmx2 with 3 microphones: Stagg MD-1500, Shure SM-58, Yamaha DM-105, with an XLR balanced cable.
I simply don't understand why you get a too high volume with a microphone model on which the volume is OK on my DJConsole Rmx2.

2) I insist on your checking with a multimeter the proper connection of the following wires in your XLR cables, as many XLR cables are not properbly cabled for a balanced XLR connection
- put 1 probe on 1 pin of the XLR male connector
- put the other probe in each hole of the XLR female connector
- and make sure that:
pin 1 is connected only to the hole 1, not to the holes 2 or 3
pin 2 is connected only to the hole 2, not to the holes 1 or 3
pin 3 is connected only to the hole 3, not to the holes 1 or 2

3) Please check in the About tab of DJConsole Rmx2 control panel and let me know which information you get

4) Please you fill your profile here
in "Hercules equipment in use", click on DJConsole Rmx2
in "DJ Software in use", precise your DJ software
in "Describe your equipment", provide details on your computer equipment:
- Computer brand & model,
- Computer type (laptop, desktop, tablet)
- Operating system version: (for example Windows 7 64-bit SP1)
- your driver version (for example package 2014_HDJS_1).

5) Make sure you have bought your Shure microphone at a price which is high enough. If you bought it very cheap, it may be a counterfeit Shure mic, as described here and here.

PS:
1) It is logical that switching to non balanced cable lowers the microphone input volume, it divides the volume by 2.
2) I have sent you an invitation here: please accept it so that we can exchange some information on the forum private emails.

Topic starter

Hi,

Trots may have activated the microphone at the same time
- as input in the DJ software: the microphone streaming is recorded, processed and played in the DJ software,
- in talk-over mode, to play the microphone input directly on the master output in pass-through mode,
this would cause both a bad sound quality (the microphone streaming played by the DJ software would be delayed compared to the talk-over streaming), and the microphone playback, in addition to being bad, would be twice louder.

Page 1 / 3