more microphone pro...

Notifications
Clear all

more microphone problems - 4-mx this time...

16 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

running vdj 7 pro full to a 4-mx. when i talk into the microphone, theres a delay before my voice gets to the speakers.. im guessing around 300ms or so, but its very noticable. its distracting and people complain that they cant understand what im saying because the delay causes sort-of an "echo" when combined with my voice. so when someone hears my voice and the sound thru the speakers, its a dual-echo effect.

this problem has happened since i first plugged in the mic, and im 100% sure theres no "effects" turned on in vdj.

so is this "normal" on the 4-mx?

1 Answer

This is normal on VDJ 7 Pro since instead of using the controller talk-over (hardware) function (as on VirtualDJ 5, where the microphone streaming is mixed with the music by the hardware), VirtualDJ 7 Pro uses a software talk-over, so the microphone input is mixed over the music in software mode instead of being mixed in hardware mode.

To reduce the microphone latency, you can:
- reduce the ASIo buffer size (in the 4-Mx control panel) if you mix in Windows
- in VirtualDJ Config > Performance tab, improve the sound card latency. 

1 Answer
Topic starter

Is there any way to get it to mix in hardware mode?
This "normal" thing really is bad - I mean think about it... if a DJ is trying to chant over the music, it won't be synched... A simple "1,2,3,4" to the beat will sound like the DJ is off-beat.

Also I don't see a place to adjust ASIO buffer size in the control panel?
And in my VDJ config, my latency is 1ms...

having a delay in the mic is completely unacceptable. This needs to be fixed for those of us that spent $500+ on a soundcard that has a defective microphone.

1 Answer

Can you check in the 4-Mx control panel > Advanced tab if the Hardware Mix option is set to default ?

If USB 1-2 + Microphone is selected, it would a reason for a delay.

1 Answer
Topic starter

Yes, it's set at default.

FYI I originally was using the driver package that came with my RMX (which I returned due to horrible pop and static in the microphone).. but today I uninstalled that driver and reinstalled the program that came on the disc with the 4MX.

there is still a delay but it's probably more like 150ms now... ALMOST acceptable, although still not acceptable.. any other help would be apprecited. Thanks!.

1 Answer
Topic starter

I have the same problem with the microphone,   any options ???

1 Answer

Hello Enigma,

What is your computer configuration and your version of VirtualDJ? 

1 Answer
Topic starter

Acer 4Gb  250Gb  Windows 7
 Virtual 7 Pro

1 Answer

Hello,

Have you tried the 2 process I have suggested:
1 - reduce the ASIo buffer size (in the 4-Mx control panel) if you mix in Windows
2 - in VirtualDJ Config > Performance tab, improve the sound card latency. 

1 Answer
Topic starter

Have you tried the 2 process I have suggested:
1 - reduce the ASIo buffer size (in the 4-Mx control panel) if you mix in Windows
2 - in VirtualDJ Config > Performance tab, improve the sound card latency. 

I tried with virtual dj configuration, the sound card latency is 1024 (23ms) this help, but you wont understand what im saying in the microphone 20 feet away from me.

I tried to reduce the ASIO Buffer size, but when I Open this window or tab I can't do anything, it wont allow me,  what Im doing wrong?

1 Answer

Changes to the ASIO configuration can only be performed when the audio application (ex: Virtual DJ) is not running.

Before launching VDJ, go to the DJ control panel, switch to ASIO mode , and make the changes in the ASIO tab.

1 Answer
Topic starter

It works ! It works !!!  its alive  !  Thanks a lot,  man.   Thank you.

1 Answer
Topic starter

Hi Djs !
i have a problem with my Hercules Mk4 .
i have a Karma Microphone with this caracteristics:

type: unidirectional dynamic

impedance: 600ohm +/- 20%
frequency response: 80-12000Hz
sensibility: -76db +/- 3db

when i plug in into my hercules and i "sing my song" (without virtual Dj, i'm in windows 7!) the voice is disturbed , there is a noise but i don't understand why!

i try to plug it directly into Mic jack of my pc (with adapter) and i have the same problem; but if i config the sampling the audio capture of my pc audio card i listen my voice perfectly!

is it a bad microphone or my hercules has a problem? help me please!

1 Answer
Topic starter

hey guyz I have problems with my microphone too... I own the hercules dj control air+ and I use the DJUCED 40, and I have windows 8.1 so when I go to record my voise it has a delay and it's very noticable! I need to fix that any sugestions? 

1 Answer

Hello Apeilhtikos,

1) It is logical that when you record your voice you hear it a noticeable delay, your voice goes through a twice longer process than your music.

Your Voice goes through 2 steps instead of 1
- Step 1 : Recording
- Step2: Playback

When you hear the music, the only process is the playback, so it is a faster process.

2) To get no latency at all, you must talk in the microphone without recording.
You just have to declare no microphone in your DJ Software.

And when you activate the microphone, your voice is mixed with the music without going in the software = zero latency.

3) To record your voice, you must accept some latency, but you can reduce it in reducing the ASIO buffer size.
Close your DJ software, call Hercules DJControl Air Plus control panel, go at the advanced tab, and set a small ASIO buffer size, for example 4ms.

If you reduce the buffer size, to avoid crackling sounds you must absolutely:
- Optimize your computer for DJing, in following the recommenadation here:
http://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/blog/tech-tips/optimize-your-windows-computer-for-djing/
- Have a stong computer: do not consider you can get a low latency if you have a low performance CPU (as Intel Celeron or Atom).

Once you have reduced the ASIO buffer size, you must run Djuced 40 and select DJControl Air+ ASIO (ASIO) as audio device (if you use DJControl Air in WASAPI mode, the ASIO buffer is not active).

1 Answer
Topic starter

i did all these and i dont hear cracks but when i start to recording I cant hear me when I put the file to play, only the music...

1 Answer
Page 1 / 2