Hercules, a leader in the field of digital DJing, is unveiling Hercules Universal DJ - the exclusive ecosystem designed for connected DJs.
Hercules is proud to reveal first hand that this DJ package received the highly coveted 2015 CES Innovations Awards Honouree prize from the Las Vegas CES, which will take place in January next year!
Specially designed for the multi-equipped and multi-connected generation of users(1), Hercules Universal DJ is a comprehensive system that allows DJs to mix using all their displays - PC, Mac, smartphones and tablets (Android or iOS).
By combining Hercules Universal DJ with their favourite touch surface (whether smartphones or tablets), DJs can now move away from their computers during the party, to enjoy their parties from the dance floor, while still controlling every feature of their mix. They can be as creative as pro DJs - and even more innovative, by inviting their audience to chime in and vote for their favourite playlists, for even more memorable parties! Hercules Universal DJ and the DJUCEDTM applications herald a new era - the age of DJ parties 3.0!
(1)Users owning multiple devices: computer, tablet and/or smartphone. Also referred to as "Digital Natives".
At last, mix on all your devices - whether Android, iOS, PC or Mac. You can even combine your computer with your favourite touch surface!
Hercules Universal DJ provides users with 3 different connectivity and mixing modes:
Using their Mac or PC system, via the USB connection and the included mixing software: DJUCEDTM 40°
Using their computer, combined with their favourite touch surface, connected via the built-in Bluetooth® wireless technology and the DJUCEDTM Master dedicated app (available free of charge on the App Store and Google Play)
Using their tablet only, with Bluetooth® connectivity and the DJUCEDTM App (available on the App Store and Google Play)
Unrivalled FREEDOM - experience the party from the heart of the dance floor!
Using the DJUCEDTM Master Application and "My Remote", DJs are free to move and groove on the dance floor. Their smartphone or tablet becomes a full-featured wireless remote control (in addition to their computer).
DJs can invite their audience to try their hand at mixing - and more importantly, they can keep their transitions under control at all times. Crossfader, playback, individual track volume control and track synchronization - DJs can do all this and more! And if DJs are caught in the middle of a conversation or a drink with their friends, the PANIC button is there to help them out, allowing them to automatically find and launch the best next track!
Be as creative as a pro DJ.
DJUCEDTM Master can also turn smartphones and tablets into convenient and creative extensions. On their second touch display, for instance, DJs can create loop and FX combos using one finger only.
These combined actions, until now accessible to pro DJs only, have never yet been as simple and fun!
Exclusive feature: let the guests chime in, for a perfect party!
The DJUCEDTM 40° app’s exclusive feature (for PC and Mac) allows DJs to share their playlist with their audience before the party, and to invite guests to vote for their favourite tracks (via a Web app that is freely accessible from any connected device). DJs can now be sure to create the best playlists for every party!
They can also invite their audience to vote during the party (using their smartphones and the Web app) and customize their playlists to suit their audiences live! The highest-voted playlist is visible on the DJ’s second device (tablet or smartphone), allowing them to track it in real time. They can also view the tracks, artists or special messages that their party’s attendees would like to hear. Customized playlists for unforgettable parties - for everyone!
Reinvent your party - each and every time!
In collaboration with DJUCEDTM, Hercules is providing users with multiple communication platforms, to allow them to request new apps or features and share their opinion, suggestions or questions about already available apps. The Hercules Universal DJ and DJUCEDTM ecosystem is not set in stone; it is infinitely evolution-ready, designed to adapt to its users’ creativity during their forthcoming parties 3.0. In fact, Hercules and DJUCEDTM are currently collaborating to design a DJing application for Google GlassTM, that will merge with this ecosystem. More information will be available very soon!
Express yourself on:
DJUCED.com: the forum and the "THINK TANK DJUCED Master" discussion thread (directly accessible from your DJUCEDTM Master app) The Hercules DJ Mix Room: the forum and the "DJUCED Master" discussion thread The Hercules DJ Mix Room Facebook page The DJUCEDTM Facebook page
The controller itself
Lightweight and portable, Hercules Universal DJ weighs only 1.5 kg, and features a surface measuring 40 x 23 cm. Among other features, it boasts 2 capacitive jog wheels, 6 equalizer potentiometers and two sets of 8 pads offering 4 different modes (Effect/Sample/Loop/Cue). It also features an audio interface enabling users to connect a headset (for previewing) and speakers (for airing their mix). An auxiliary stereo input allows users to connect any smartphone or tablet during the party (using the included cable) and to instantly access any playlist on an online music streaming service - and even to add equalization effects or samples.
Hercules Universal DJ will be available from late November 2014
Also come discover it at CES Las Vegas, the Venetian Hotel, Veronese 2504 meeting room, from January 6 through 9, 2015.
(3) For Android, please check the list of compatible devices here
If you feel your computer in Windows is slow for DJing, you should check the following settings.
1) Switch off the Wifi, Bluetooth, and any other network connection on your computer before a DJ performance. Network connections consume CPU ressources and may cause crackles in the music. Letting the Wifi receiver switched on is the most dangerous setting for DJing on a computer, since each time the Wifi receiver of the computer detects another Wifi source, the CPU ressources of the computer will drop of 50%: if someone in the street has a smartphone with Wifi on, your computer detects this Wifi source, scans it, and this Wifi identification process takes up to 50% of the computer CPU ressources, possibly causing crackling.
2) Disable Windows preset made to save energy on the USB. This preset is set on by default, and it may cause crackling in the sound, and even disconnect the DJ controller on the computer.
Right-click on My computer > Properties > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers,
Right-click on the first line "USB Root Hub" and click "Properties"
Go to the tab "Power Management", and uncheck the box "Allow computer to turn off this device to save energy"
Click "OK" and close the dialog box
Repeat the same operation on each line called USB Root Hub or USB hub.
3) Close any background software Real time operations as Djing or video capture require to as much CPU ressources as possible, so you should close any other background software during a DJ performance.
4) If possible, move the mouse far from the USB port where you plug the DJ controller If the USB port of your mouse is close from the USB port of your DJ Controller, and if you have enough USB ports for it, you should plug the DJ Controller on a USB port far from the mouse USB port, as the click on your mouse may be heard in the audio played on your DJ controller if the USB port are close one from the other.
5) In Windows 7 or in Windows Vista, avoid Aero graphic theme. Aero graphic themes are CPU intensive, so don't use an Aero graphic theme while doing any real-time task as music production or video capture, select a basic theme instead.
6) Adjust your computer settings for the best performance - Go to Start > right click on Computer > Properties > Advanced System settings > "Advanced" tab. - Click on "Settings" in the "Performance" area. - In "Visual Effects", click on "Adjust for best performance", and press "OK".
7) If you use a laptop, set your "Power plan" on "High performance". Go to Start button, and in the search bar, type power settings The "Power Options" menu lets you can select your power plan among three preset plans: Balanced, Power saver, or High performance. Select the High performance power plan.
8) Don't let any USB key connected on the computer You can use USB keys to copy an audio track on or from your computer, but once it is over, unplug it from your computer. USB keys have a slow access time (even USB keys with a fast transfer rate have a slow access time), so if they are connected to the computer, they decrease significantly the computer performance even for task which don't use the USB keys. Never play an audio track directly from a USB key: if you uncompress an audio track on a USB key, the access time of the USB key is so slow that you complete computer because slow. If you want to play a track stored on a USB key, copy it on your hard disk prior to playing it.
9) Make sure your disk is not saturated, DJing requires a large available hard-drive space Windows needs hard drive space to be fast, and playing music requires a significant hard disk space. When loading audio tracks, the audio tracks are uncompressed in the software and need, either in the hard drive + in the RAM, the same space as if they were in an uncompressed WAV format, even if they are stored in a compressed format as MP3, AAC or WMA. Examples of hard drive + RAM needed to uncompress 2 tracks of 10 minutes
16-bit/44.1 kHz, 2 tracks of 10 minutes = 201.8 MB
Most DJ software with a recording function let the Deejay record in Wav format. Some of you wonder how to convert the .wav file into MP3 format to share your creation. Here is a process to do it in Windows with iTunes 11.2.
1) Start iTunes
2) Click on iTunes rectangle on the upper-left corner
3) Select the Preferences menu
4) In the General Preferences, go to “Import Settings…”.
5) In the Import Settings, select Import using “MP3 Encoder”
6) In the Import Settings, click on the Setting field to set for the MP3 compression rate.
7) If you select the “Custom” setting, you can select the compression rate you wish.
Click on OK to close.
8) You can check your compression settings in the field “Details”.
Click on OK to close.
iTunes is now set to convert files into the MP3 format you have selected.
9) If the file you want to convert is not in iTunes library, add this file in iTunes library.
Import your .wav file in iTunes.
Click on the rectangle icon in iTunes upper-left corner, and choose “Add File to Library…”.
Browse to your .wav file, select it and click on Open.
10) Once the audio file is in iTunes libray, right click on it in iTunes and select “Create MP3 Version”.
11) iTunes converts it into MP3 format.
12) Once iTunes has created a MP3 version, it is located by default in a folder
To check where it is located, right click on the created track in iTunes, and select Get Info
The iTunes Summary window shows the location of the MP3 file.
13) To check the default location of the MP3 files you create in iTunes, click on the rectangle icon in iTunes upper-left corner, go to Preferences, and go to the Advanced Preferences tab.
You see iTunes Media folder location, and you can change it if needed.
Remark: iTunes does not suppress the .wav file when encoding its .mp3 version, so at the end of the operation, you get 2 audio tracks with the same name in iTunes library:
Honoree of a 2014 CES Innovations Award, Hercules DJControlWave’s Bluetooth® connectivity and rechargeable battery gives DJs complete freedom to mix and rock parties anywhere.
Las Vegas, January 7, 2014 - Hercules, a worldwide leader in audio and digital DJing, is proud to unveil the first wireless DJ controllers custom-designed for iPad® at CES Las Vegas.
Inspired by its sleek, wave-shaped design, the new controller is named the Hercules DJControlWave. This truly unique and innovative concept has also been recognized as an honoree of the highly coveted CES Innovations Design and Engineering Award 2014.
With its iPad® control via Bluetooth® wireless technology, total mobility thanks to its built-in rechargeable battery, and its futuristic design, the Hercules DJControlWave is the undisputed "new wave" DJ controller.
Complete mixing freedom There’s no need for any kind of cable between the controller and the iPad®: the Bluetooth® connection is instant and the control is totally wireless. When mixing at a party, the DJ is even free to take the iPad® onto the dance floor, away from the controller, without ever losing control of the mix! The Hercules DJControlWave’s range is up to 33 feet (10 meters).
The controller’s built-in rechargeable battery is also a huge plus in terms of freedom of movement: say goodbye to the days when a DJ always had to keep the controller connected to a power source. Battery life even allows for a whole night of non-stop mixing (up to 8 hours)!
DJs can either connect speakers to the iPad® via a wired connection or wirelessly if using a Bluetooth® speaker, making it possible to mix without any cables at all for the ultimate in DJing freedom!
The "new wave" DJ design: stylized and futuristic Extremely lightweight and showcasing an elegant look, the innovative design of the Hercules DJControlWave ripples like a wave, and is perfectly crafted to support the DJ’s iPad®. The iPad®’s angle of support can be adjusted in order to adapt to different DJing positions and styles. All controls are intuitive and ergonomic, including the two jog wheels, two pitch sliders, buttons for effects, samples and cue points, and rotary encoders for EQ settings.
Even the controller’s backlighting, which adds to its futuristic look, has been designed to be both attractive and helpful: it guides the DJ, even in low-light conditions.
DJUCEDTM DJW: the free, custom control app The DJUCEDTM DJW app has been specially designed for the Hercules DJControlWave, and was developed to function in perfect harmony with the controller (the app is available for free on the App Store). The app is incredibly simple both to learn and to use to create great mixes, even for those just starting out as DJs.
Multi-talented Although this new controller has been designed for the iPad® (its "Made for iPad" certification is pending), it is also compatible with both Mac® and PC, via a USB connection and the included DJUCEDTM 40° software.
The Hercules DJControlWave also comes bundled with a super-convenient splitter cable - allowing users to connect both speakers and headphones to privately preview upcoming tracks.
The Hercules DJControlWave will be available from spring 2014, at a suggested retail price of $299.99.
To check it out, come visit Hercules at CES Las Vegas, the Venetian Hotel, Veronese 2504 meeting room, from January 7 through 10, 2014.